Callisto is a San Francisco-based nonprofit organization that creates technology to combat sexual assault, empower survivors, and advance justice. We are funded by a series of philanthropic investors, including Google.org, Y Combinator, Greylock Partners, and the Skoll Foundation.
We are a small but powerful team, united in the belief that we can create a more just world. The culture around us is changing rapidly and the demand for Callisto has never been greater. We will soon expand to address sexual assault and coercion in multiple industries, connecting victims of the same predator together and with legal support.
About the Position:
As our Director of Communications & Marketing, you’ll set and guide the strategy for all communications and marketing to support fundraising, demand creation, impact, and brand awareness.
You will achieve these outcomes by leveraging social and traditional media and owned content to consistently articulate Callisto’s mission to a range of stakeholders. These stakeholders include: potential donors, current funders, potential customers (in multiple markets), current customers, victims of sexual misconduct (in multiple settings), the press, and the general public. It is a big job and requires someone who is highly organized, strategic, flexible, and creative.
You will work closely with members of the Callisto Executive Team and other peers within the organization on variety of strategic communications and marketing needs.
This position will be located in San Francisco.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Development, implementation and evaluation of communications plans aligned with strategic outcomes and targeted for audiences
- Overseeing the development of messaging, both reactively and proactively
- Generating digital content and create an online strategy that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action
- Putting communications and marketing vehicles (including day-to-day social media) in place to create momentum and awareness for Callisto’s work and monitors the effectiveness of activities
- Ensuring all externally-facing communication is high quality, on brand, and on message
- Managing development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and digital collateral including, but not limited to, e-newsletters, press releases, on-campus educational materials, and the Callisto marketing website
- Managing media relations and use press coverage to advance organizational goals
- Managing and support hiring of a team
- Supporting evaluation of potential media appearances for Callisto team members
- Identifying, recruiting, and management of external contractors, such as marketing firms, videographers, graphic designers, etc.
What we’d like you to have:
- 4+ years of communications and marketing experience, ideally involving experience where you were the only or one of a few marketing and communications team members
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- An eye for design
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments to achieve communications and marketing goals
- A strong track record of being able to both create and implement communications and marketing strategies
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance
Bonus points for:
- Graphic design experience
- Experience working with remote teams
Callisto is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
What to Expect at Callisto
We are engineers, designers, educators, and legal experts. Our work is serious, but our days are full of joy and mutual support. We are each other’s biggest fans, fierce yet kind, driven yet understanding.
Callisto offers medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with paid holidays, vacation, sick and wellness days and a 401k. Members of the Callisto team also receive a professional development budget.
Enter a mission-driven work culture with a focus on well-being and work-life balance. Callisto employees create self-care plans to ensure that all team members remain healthy, happy, and whole. And the final reward is knowing that you go to work each day helping to change the world for the better.
Minimum Education Required