PO Box 4757
Youth Economic Education Coordinator
Rural & Migrant Ministry Inc.
Here is an opportunity to work with one of the most innovative
Youth Empowerment Programs in the Country.
The Youth Economic Group (YEG) and their cooperative business, Bags for Justice are looking for a creative and experienced full-time Coordinator to help them continue to develop their program and grow the business in the midst of the Catskill region of New York State.
For the past seven years, participants of YEG have worked to create their cooperative business Bags for Justice which designs, silk screens, and sells tote bags and t-shirts, with messages that advocate social justice. We are looking for a Coordinator who has the determination and skills to help this program continue to develop as a rare opportunity for rural youth to participate in a cooperative business and a Youth Leadership Program dedicated to empowerment and social justice. Most importantly, we are looking for someone who sees her/himself as both an educator and a leader.
Here is what makes us innovative:
- We are one of the few rural youth cooperatives in the country
- We may be the only union affiliated youth organization in the country
- We are committed to systemic change and justice
- We are a part of remarkable state-wide organization that has been on the cutting edge of rural Youth Leadership Development and rural justice for over thirty-five years.
The program is a part of Rural & Migrant Ministry (RMM.) Founded in 1981, RMM is a state-wide organization that stands as a committed ally with those who work for justice in the rural and farmworker communities of New York State, with a primary focus on developing leadership skills and opportunity for youth. Our Mission Statement lays out our focus clearly and succinctly:
Rural & Migrant Ministry works for the creation of a just, rural New York State by: nurturing leadership; standing with the disenfranchised, especially farmworkers, rural workers and their families; and changing unjust systems and structures
Working hand in hand with the Executive Director, the position has several fundamental components including:
• Strive to build upon existing efforts to create a sustainable program and business
• Supervise and coordinate staff, volunteers and interns within the Program
• Appreciate the rural setting and drive great distances on a regular basis
• Have a vision, as well as honor the vision of the members – seeing this endeavor as a
• Appreciate the challenges and possibilities of working within a small but growing
• Be comfortable working with allies in the faith, labor, business, social justice and
Requirements of the Position include:
- Experienced in youth empowerment and experiential education
- Experience with cooperative business development
- Committed to social and economic justice in the midst of disenfranchised communities
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Strong interest in working with faith and labor communities
- Creative and flexible - realizing that this is more than just a '9 to 5' job
- Able to work evenings regularly and occasional weekends
- A strategist with strong interpersonal, networking and organizing skills
- Self-motivated with excellent speaking skills
- Willingness to live in the Catskills
- A driver’s license
This is a Full -time position with flexible hours and days. Compensation includes:
- Full Medical and Dental Insurance
- Four weeks vacation
- Contributions to a Retirement Plan (403B)
RMM’s Global Non-discrimination Policy provides that we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of gender, color, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, pregnancy, covered veteran status, protected genetic information and/or political affiliation.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
The Rev. Richard Witt, Executive Director
Rural & Migrant Ministry
PO BOX 4757
Poughkeepsie, NY 12602
Minimum Education Required