Start Date: ASAP
If you love coaching teachers, leading professional development, working on a team of experienced high-performing educators, and are hungry to further build your instructional leadership skillset, the Assistant Professor of Practice role is right for you. In this role, you’ll be able to build relationships with graduate students and adapt our curriculum to meet their needs. Your responsibilities will be challenging and diverse.
During an average week, you can expect to do things like teach graduate students during evening classes, meet in-person with graduate students that need extra help, observe graduate students teaching in their K-12 classrooms, and grade assessments.
As a result of this effort, you’ll benefit from seeing teachers that you’ve worked with during the year grow as people and professionals. Plus, you’ll maximize your community impact by supporting teachers in generating significant, measurable student achievement gains in their K-12 classrooms.
To grow your own skills as a teacher coach and leader of adults, you will have the opportunity to participate in individual, team, and institution-wide professional development. You will also receive individualized coaching. We will support you in your development in the same way that you will support your graduate students.
WHAT YOU’LL TACKLE
- Teach general pedagogy curriculum to Relay graduate students
- Evaluate and provide feedback to graduate students through classroom observations and written assignments
- Serve as the primary academic advisor to graduate students
- Collaborate with fellow faculty to identify and assist struggling graduate students as well as provide office hours and other forms of academic support
- Develop collaborative relationships with partner organizations and leaders of the schools in which enrolled graduate students work as full-time teachers
- Design and revise session plans, assessments, and supporting materials for a variety of general pedagogy units
- Work with teachers in our partner schools to capture footage of exemplary teaching
- Analyze raw footage of exemplary teachers to identify clips for use in the curriculum
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
First and foremost, the Assistant Professor of Practice must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal teacher training. Additionally, you must have the following:
- A master’s or doctoral degree
- At least five years of experience teaching in a school serving a high-needs community with demonstrated K-12 student achievement
- At least two years of experience leading professional development sessions for teachers
- At least two years of experience observing, coaching, and developing novice teachers
- Ability to work efficiently and intensely within an entrepreneurial environment
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the opportunity gap
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
CONSIDERATIONS TO NOTE
- Faculty must have the ability to transport themselves to public schools across the city in order to conduct classroom observations.
- As part of our hiring process, we ask for candidates’ current manager as a final reference before an offer is extended.
- We are excited to consider internal candidates, therefore, you must submit your application by the deadline to ensure your current team has time to plan for your potential departure.
Relay offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply directly on our website: https://relay.edu/browse-jobs?gh_jid=1258989