Details: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience
55 West 125th Street
The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation (UMEZ) is to sustain the economic revitalization of all communities in Upper Manhattan through job creation, corporate alliances, strategic investments and small business investments. UMEZ facilitates economic development in the neighborhoods of Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights; and Inwood.
UMEZ is an independent not-for-profit corporation created in 1995 and has invested $250 million in the Upper Manhattan community, leveraging over 1.1 billion in private capital, and has funded 100 small businesses.
In 2017, UMEZ became a recognized Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with over $80 million in assets. UMEZ is proud to be certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s CDFI Fund as a part of a national network promoting economic growth by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
Job Title: Senior Underwriter
Summary: The Senior Underwriter will serve as the primary underwriter for loan transactions, loan structuring, and will work in conjunction with the Business Investments team in determining credit risk, financial analysis and investments. This role will provide feedback and technical assistance across full range of lending activities, including structuring, underwriting and closing of Commercial & Industrial (C&I) and/or Commercial Real Estate Loans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following and other duties may be assigned:
- Serve as primary underwriter for C&I and/or Commercial Real Estate loan transactions which includes working with the Business Investments team to structure transactions, conducting due diligence, financial analysis and drafting credit memoranda
- Work with borrowers, analyze, and evaluate applications for credit and ascertain all necessary due diligence and documentation
- Perform full credit analysis and projection scenarios for proposed loan fund clients
- Structure loan terms and assist in the closing process for approved loans by working with the Legal Department and borrowers on necessary documentation
- Prepare written analysis of loan applicants and present written and oral recommendations to the Loan Committee
- Work with the Director of Business Investments in strategizing and designing new loan products and lending programs
- Provide technical assistance to Business Investment team; perform primary underwriting in the form of structuring assistance, support, and guidance concerning the compliance of underwriting criteria.
Background and Experience:
- Strong knowledge and experience with C&I and/or Commercial Real Estate loan transactions, loan structuring and underwriting with the ability to analyze financial statements
- 7-10 years in credit analysis and underwriting
- Ability to multitask, work independently and interdependently
- Must be able to engage in a tactful manner with colleagues, potential borrowers, and existing borrowers
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills and excellent attention to detail
- Community residence and/or familiarity with Upper Manhattan community
- An energetic and resourceful person with a strong interest in community engagement
- A self starter; a team player; a strategic thinker; a creative problem solver.
The benefit package includes medical, dental and vision insurance as well as a 401K plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should e-mail or mail a resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Manager
55 West 125th Street, 11th Floor
New York, New York 10027
Attn: Senior Underwriter
No Phone Calls or Faxes Please