Details: Y.O.Uth Serve Members receive a living allowance of $20,000 for their term of service
1911 Church Street
Youth and Opportunity United (Y.O.U.) is searching for our next yearlong cohort of AmeriCorps Y.O.U.th Serve Members for our Out-of-School-Time (OST) Programs in Evanston and Niles Township, IL! Our programs provide youth with a wide array of services to support their academic, social, and emotional development. Founded in 1971, Y.O.U. is a positive youth development agency. Each year, Y.O.U. serves over 1,500 youth and touches over 4,000 family members through afterschool and summer learning programs, community schools, street outreach, trauma informed counseling, and deep parental engagement.
Make a Difference in the Lives of Youth
Y.O.U.th Serve Members will support youth by serving as youth workers and leaders in Y.O.U.'s afterschool programs. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will provide youth with crucial academic support and help lead workshops on social and emotional enrichment and life skills. Y.O.U.th Serve Members will also assist the Program in building relationships with parents, families, and community members.
The Y.O.U.th Serve Members will:
Direct Service (70%)
- Develop, implement and facilitate academic, cultural, artistic and recreational enrichment activities on a daily basis
- Create and submit detailed lesson plans quarterly in both Life Skills and Enrichment Activities for youth
- Research and integrate best practices and curriculum for our programs
- Deliver small group instruction and homework help in a safe and structured environment
- Engage youth in meaningful service learning projects
- Build positive relationships with youth that support their success and well-being in and out of school time.
- Build positive relationships with school teachers and administrators
- Help youth build healthy positive relationships with each other, with adults, and with their families
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and hosting periodic family nights
- Actively pursue connections and build relationships with parents of Y.O.U. youth
- Assist in planning, coordinating field trips for youth.
Administrative Work (in support of Direct Service) (20%)
- Assist with monthly program attendance input and reporting
- Create monthly newsletters and calendars to send out to program families
- Attend weekly site-based team meetings and occasional meetings with school administration
- Complete quarterly social-emotional assessments of youth in support of OST data and evaluation efforts
- Assist with daily snack prep for program
- Inventory and supply shop for educational program supplies on an on-going basis
Training & Other (10%)
- Attend all AmeriCorps cohort meetings and trainings as scheduled
- In rotation with other staff, carry a pager as assigned and be available to respond to crisis housing service requests in a timely manner (*for members who meet the minimum qualifications to carry the pager)
Develop crucial career and life skills
The Y.O.U.th Serve Member term of service offers a unique opportunity for growth for students thinking about a career in youth development, education, or non-profits. Members will develop their leadership skills, enhance their understanding of youth development, and build their non-profit management skills.
Y.O.U.th Serve Members will:
- Be trained in youth development practices and strategies to support their work with youth
- Have direct supervision of their work and be provided with both formal and informal feedback to help them grow
- Receive one-on-one quarterly support in sessions with the AmeriCorps Program Manager to enhance their service experience
- Participate in cohort meetings and internal professional development surrounding professionalism and life beyond service
- Have opportunities to undertake cross-organizational projects or committee work to support personal goals and growth areas
- Partake in external community service days and AmeriCorps events to expand the scope of national service impact
Y.O.U. is seeking candidates who are drawn to its mission, team atmosphere, and transformative impact in the lives of youth. We are also seeking candidates whose values match our Core Values. Y.O.U.’s 5 Core Values undergird everything that we do: Respect, Passion & Intention, Community, Self-Care, Positivity and Celebration
The Y.O.U.th Serve Member* should have the following qualifications:
• Significant experience in and passion for youth services
• Previous employment or student internships working with youth
• A youth development orientation, as well as strong teamwork, leadership, and volunteer management skills
• An entrepreneurial mindset and an understanding of educational standards, minority student achievement, and non-profit/social service systems
• Flexibility and preparedness when facilitating out-of-school-time activities
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Y.O.U.'s mission
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to interact with individuals from a wide range of diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
• Experience, training, or an interest in how to relate to youth who are navigating identity connected to sexual orientation, healthy relationships, and/or experience, training, or an interest in sexual education is preferred
• Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool
• Access to a car and a valid driver's license strongly preferred
• Bilingual preferred
*Positions are subject to funding availability
Childcare assistance if eligible , Training , Professional Development, Coaching, , AmeriCorps Segal Education award upon successful completion of service , Health Coverage.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply:
Applicants should visit https://my.americorps.gov to apply for this position. Candidates will need to create a My AmeriCorps account and profile with references to apply. Click “Apply to Serve” to create an account. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible; however, applications will continue to be received until the position is filled.
No emails or phone calls, please*
Y.O.U is an equal opportunity employer.