At KIPP Colorado Schools, all students will learn and achieve.
KIPP Colorado Schools is part of the national KIPP network of free college-preparatory public charter schools that are open to all and dedicated to preparing students from educationally underserved communities for success in college and life.
Who we are: KIPP Colorado Schools is a network of five high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools. We educate students in grades 9-12 at KIPP Denver Collegiate High School, and grades 5-8 at KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy and KIPP Northeast Denver Middle School. For the 2017-18 school year, KIPP Northeast Elementary will educate students in ECE through third grade and KIPP Northeast Denver Leadership Academy will educate students in grades 9-11. By the 2018-19 school year, KIPP Northeast Elementary will grow to educate students in ECE through fourth grade and KIPP Northeast Denver Leadership Academy will educate students in grades 9-12.
What we do: We set clearly defined and measurable high expectations for academic achievement and conduct in order to create and reinforce a culture of achievement and support. We know every student is different and we personalize learning based on a student’s needs, skills, and interests.
How we do it: Great schools require great teachers and school leaders. We empower our educators to lead school teams, and we invest in training to help them grow as professionals. Our schools provide a safe, structured, and nurturing environment with minimal distractions and more time for both academics and extra-curricular activities, so our students love school and maximize their learning.
Why it matters: Great education transforms lives. At KIPP Colorado Schools, teachers, students, and families are all united around the same goal: college and a choice-filled life. We believe that an excellent college-preparatory education will set students up for success in whatever life path they choose. Through collective hard work and commitment, KIPP students complete college at a rate that is above the national average for all students and four times higher than that of students from similar economic backgrounds.
About the Controller Position
This position will be a key member of KIPP Colorado’s finance team, assisting with the day-to-day financial operations of our schools and our regional office in the areas of accounting, banking, budget management, and payroll. The controller will help create and manage financial policies and systems that support the schools’ mission and culture of achievement. This is a full-time position, located in our School Services Center, which is currently housed in downtown Denver. The controller will report to the director of finance.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Finance & Accounting
- Supports school leaders, directors of school operations, and their teams to manage school-based expenses
- Assists the team’s staff accountant with questions and process improvements
- Prepares timely financial statements, including statement of activities, fund balances, and sources/uses of funds
- Regularly evaluates, updates, and creates systems to improve work efficiencies
- Continually monitors and analyzes revenue and expense activities to ensure accurate allocations. Oversees all federal fund budgeting, accounting, reporting, reimbursements and oversight, including CSP, Title 1A, Title II, Title III, and i3
- Manages the reimbursement process for all federal grants
- Assists in the financial audit and tax reporting
- Updates KIPP Colorado website with current school financials and budgets
- Works with development team to develop and monitor grant budgets and assist with other grant request activities as necessary
- Regularly evaluates and updates software systems and efficiencies related to finance and accounting
- Payroll ProcessingPrepares and processes school and regional monthly payroll
- Ensures payroll tax and reporting compliance
- Works with school directors of operations to improve processes and create efficiencies in collecting pay data
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, CPA or MBA preferred
- At least four years of significant work experience in finance and/or accounting
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook required, Access preferred
- Experience with Intaact preferred
- Experience in nonprofit/education industry and knowledge of fund accounting
- Detail oriented with exceptionally strong follow-up and follow-through skills, with a focus on results
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strong organization and planning skills, with an ability to set up systems and processes to streamline accounting and finance functions
- Proactive problem solver who demonstrates initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships across teams
- Professionalism, maturity, and an understanding of how to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work
The starting salary for this position is $60,000 and may be negotiated depending upon experience. Employee benefits include medical, dental, participation in PERA, and a paid time-off package.
KIPP Colorado Schools is dedicated to equal employment opportunities and fair labor practices. KIPP Colorado Schools, KIPP Denver Collegiate High School, KIPP Northeast Denver Middle School, KIPP Northeast Elementary, KIPP Northeast Denver Leadership Academy, and KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications, and the ability to perform a job without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religious creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, legally protected medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or on any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.
Minimum Education Required