Details: Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience
637 S. Dearborn
Grassroots Illinois Action is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. Activities performed by Grassroots Illinois Action include educating the public about policy issues impacting working families, legislative lobbying, and community-based electoral work.
Grassroots Illinois Action (GIA) is building community-based, independent grassroots electoral infrastructure. We work to expand the political influence of our members to promote a progressive agenda that addresses our collective needs. To this end, we support candidates who embrace our vision. Additionally, we support our grassroots leaders by providing them with the tools they need to win political power in their communities.
We are seeking an experienced organizer who is excited to support the development and growth of our organization in the Humboldt Park area. This includes developing and supporting strong grassroots leaders, staffing issue and project committees, supporting our endorsed candidates through field campaigns, growing our membership and identifying opportunities to participate in coalition campaigns that better the living conditions of our members. This position will also support the work of GIA in other parts of Chicago and the region as needed.
The best fit for this position will be a strong team player who can also work independently and a quick learner with a can-do attitude. This person will have a strong desire to build political power for the 99%, a sense of urgency and a love for grassroots community organizing.
The organizer reports to the Deputy Director, and will work closely with other GIA staff. Their primary partners, though, will be the residents and leaders who are working hard to improve their community and elect progressive champions.
· Build GIA-HPA through:
o Recruitment and development of new members and community leaders
o Working with the GIA steering committee to develop and implement a plan for growing the organization and
increasing member involvement
o Supporting GIA-HPA committees
· Coordinate our Precinct Leader Program
o Train Precinct Leaders
o Prepare and Manage Canvassing Lists and Materials for Leaders
o Support Leaders as Necessary to Achieve Weekly and Monthly Benchmarks
· Coordinate Regular Voter Outreach Canvasses and Phone Banks
· Organize Committee Events (meet and greets, volunteer events, etc)
· Build effective relationships with other ally organizations in the community
· Assist with GIA grassroots fundraising efforts and related administrative tasks
· Assist with GIA efforts in other regions of Chicago, as needed
· Perform any other work as needed to further the mission of the organization
Knowledge & Skills:
· Two years minimum of experience in community or labor organizing or related experience
· Working knowledge of the Voter Activation Network
· Experience in and commitment to working in a collaborative fashion
· Proven ability to listen, understand, and develop leadership of diverse constituents
· Strong organization skills, and ability to meet deadlines
· Ability to think and act flexibly and creatively in a high-paced environment
· Understanding of Chicago politics and community issues
· Willingness to work at times long and irregular hours
· An energetic commitment to social justice and working within an anti-oppression framework
· Spanish proficiency preferred
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience.
Grassroots Illinois Action is an equal-opportunity employer. People of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For consideration, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.