Part Time Temporary
Details: $19.23/hr, approx 20 hr/wk
911 East Jefferson Street
In partnership with The Charlottesville Area Community Foundation’s Heal Charlottesville Fund, Partner for Mental Health is privileged to begin providing trauma-informed systems navigation services to survivors of the August 2017 white supremacists attacks.
We are seeking a team member who embraces a strengths-based and person-centered model of care from a position of cultural humility. A commitment to the principles of trauma informed care and a comprehensive understanding of structural racism are requirements for success in this role.
The Community Navigator will help people recovering from the trauma of the August 11-12 events navigate the mental health, human services, and physical health systems so they may lead happy, healthy, and self-directed lives in their home communities. The Community Navigator also assists their friends and family members learn how to effectively help their loved one recover from the trauma of the attack, while also addressing their own unique needs as caregivers.
- Belief in the inherent dignity of all human beings
- Holds all clients in unconditional positive regard
- Embraces a recovery-oriented and person-centered model of care from a position of cultural humility
- Ability to hold sight of the big picture while simultaneously addressing details
- Commitment to utilizing the principles of trauma informed care in all client interactions
- Skilled in motivational interviewing techniques
- Comfort working independently in various community settings
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with adults with significant mental health needs experiencing complex life challenges (trauma, homelessness, low income, limited assets, minimal social supports, serious physical health needs, etc.)
- Ability to maintain appropriate professional boundaries
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Ability to travel (all work related travel expenses will be reimbursed)
- Experience using electronic record management systems
- Ability to organize time effectively to meet assigned work demands
- Ability to express and transmit ideas and knowledge clearly to diverse audiences
- Current and valid driver’s license and meets minimum automobile insurance requirements
- Ability to work collaboratively and with minimal direct supervision
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in social work, or related human services field
The Community Navigator will…
Human Service Knowledge and Abilities
- Keep informed of developments in the field of clinical practice, mental health, community integration, psychiatric rehabilitation, family life-cycle development, human services, personal finance and/or related fields.
Assessment/Case Planning/Service Provision
- Conduct initial and on-going needs assessments with clients
- Assist clients in developing engagement plans, based on the results of the needs assessment
- Establish a trusting relationship with clients by initiating and maintaining regular client contact and providing emotional support
- Provide information, referral and support in locating required services and supports
- Help clients navigate complex systems, including but not limited to, the mental health care, human services, and physical health care systems – always with the end goal of assisting clients to build and maintain self-directed lives in their home communities. Examples might include:
- Provide support in attending mental health therapy sessions and substance abuse treatment
- Assist clients in getting and coordinating medical care, including finding a medical home
- Provide and coordinate transportation for activities and appointments that maintain and support health and wellness
- Assist clients in applying for, securing, and maintaining housing, employment, insurance, disability benefits, and educational opportunities
- Provide connections to soup kitchens, food banks, and other community food programs
- Provide accompaniment to court proceedings related to the events of August 11-12
- Provide support and advocacy as appropriate for issues pertaining to separation/divorce and child custody
- Creatively collaborate with diverse community agencies to help clients meet their recovery goals
- Advocate on behalf of clients as necessary to ensure they are receiving all services and supports from community agencies for which they are eligible
- Provide motivation for clients, especially those who are discouraged or do not have the drive to achieve their recovery goals
- Offer other indicated interventions to promote wellness, recovery, social support and more complete community inclusion
- Evaluate one’s own limitations, behaviors and biases and manage own behavior constructively
- Participate in agency data collection and analysis
- Enter all data in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain engagement plans in a timely manner
- Respond to emails and phone calls within 1 business day
- Actively participate in program evaluation
- Meet with supervisor as required on a weekly basis and comes prepared by bringing up-to-date charts for review and discussion
- Consult with supervisor as necessary when crises or situations out of the norm arise with clients
- Be prepared for and provide input at team and other agency meetings
Community Collaboration and Training
- Participate in community activities related to the program as assigned
- Collaborate and work cooperatively with community partners and referral sources
- Represent and promote Partner for Mental Health’s Community Navigator program at community meetings at the direction of the Executive Director
All Partner for Mental Health Employees will…
Strive for High Quality:
- Maintain the highest integrity in all aspects of agency and program operations and duties
- Maintain flexibility when performing duties and interacting with others
- Set appropriate priorities and plan work systematically
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with clients, colleagues and donors
- Protect privacy and confidentiality of clients, colleagues and donors
- Participate in professional development and supervision to seek guidance, expand knowledge and use of best practices
Participate as an Effective Team Member:
- Treat people in a caring and respectful fashion, mindful of individual, cultural and ethnic differences.
- Be respectful in verbal and written communication to and about clients and colleagues.
- Actively communicate pertinent information to others in the agency who need to know.
- Resolve issues with the person(s) most directly involved and encourage others to do the same.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and other community agencies in related fields.
- Participate in scheduled agency and other team meetings.
- Know, understand and communicate the agency’s philosophy and mission.
- Be proactive; give and receive input and seek solutions that balance the needs of the individual, program, agency, and community.
- Provide clear and accurate information to potential clients, the community, other agencies and funders regarding the agency’s function
- Respect and protect agency-owned property and assets and use agency resources for business-appropriate purposes.
- Perform other duties, not listed here, deemed necessary for the well being of the agency.
- Partner for Mental Health’s insurance carrier requires all Navigators to be fully licensed drivers and maintain a current motor insurance policy with at least the minimum coverage of $300,000 combined single limit or $100/300/100 split limits ($100,000 per occurrence, $300,000 per accident for bodily injury, $100,000 per accident for property damage).
- The safety of individuals with whom we work is of paramount importance to us. Every employee must pass background checks including the Virginia State Police and FBI criminal background checks.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter, describe how you implement trauma informed principles in your work and/or life and explain the importance of doing so. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls, please. The position will remain posted until filled.