KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
Falls Church, VA
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States
KIND seeks a full-time Program Assistant for its Falls Church office, which is a satellite of the KIND Washington, D.C. field office, to manage data entry, accept case referrals, conduct comprehensive intakes and outreach to child clients, to support the pro bono coordinating attorney team, and to be responsible for overall administrative duties of the office.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma.
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- Experience in data management;
- Experience with office organization and management, particularly in legal settings;
- Experience conducting intakes or interviewing children;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers;
- Ability to community clearly and effectively in writing;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- Preference will be given to those with experience working in immigration law and with immigration authorities or with family law issues or substantially equivalent experience.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney – DC/VA office
None with the potential for overseeing intern work
The staff member will have, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Assist with office administration and operations, case management, and data entry.
- Interview, screen and conduct a comprehensive intake with each individual child;
- Prepare a case summary and comprehensive memorandum for each intake, and assemble a set of case documents for use by the KIND Staff and Pro Bono Attorneys;
- Liaise with colleagues at other nonprofits, as well as individual members of the public, to receive on-line or telephonic referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND’s case acceptance criteria;
- Schedule and manage all logistics to ensure that an intake interview is timely scheduled;
- Prepare and manage docket lists for upcoming court dates as well as assist and notify children who are still waiting for placement with counsel; and
- Process daily mail; maintain office calendar; and potentially assist with event planning, know-your-rights presentations, or other office tasks as needed.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.