Fix the Court (FixTheCourt.com), a project of the New Venture Fund, is a nonpartisan organization that advocates for greater transparency and accountability in the federal courts system, primarily in the Supreme Court.
We seek a senior researcher to lead its work pushing the courts in a more open and honest direction by uncovering instances in which the courts and its jurists are missing the mark ethically and by identifying best practices in other courts that ours should adopt, either via Chief Justice Roberts directive or federal legislation. For the type of research we conduct, please view this page: tinyurl.com/FTCresearch.
This position is based in New York. A flexible personality, sense of humor and positive attitude are essential.
Essential responsibilities and tasks:
- Conducting news, internet and database research; submitting FOIA requests; and collecting and reviewing public records on issues of importance to the organization
- Analyzing research findings for relevance to the organization’s campaigns
- Presenting research in written and verbal form, including writing reports and presenting findings to staff
- Tracking legislative activity relevant to the organization’s campaigns
- Fact-checking press products
Required education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Law degree is a plus but not required
- At least three years of experience in advocacy, research and/or government is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Smart political judgment and a discerning eye
- Ability to work quickly and independently and to juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines
- Proven track record for being a self-starter
- Attention to detail
- Passionate about government transparency
How to apply:
Please email cover letter and resume to Info@FixTheCourt.com with “Senior researcher applicant” in the subject.
New Venture Fund careers:
Fix the Court is a project of New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
We'll pay for your health care. Other benefits are similarly competitive.
Minimum Education Required