What do you do all day?
At NMSI, our people mean everything to us, they are the lifeblood of the organization. Without our staff, NMSI is just an idea. The Operations Coordinator reports to the Manager, Program Delivery and Operations and is responsible for high quality operations and logistics programming that facilitates schools’ ability to prioritize access and opportunities for students in STEM education and preparation for college readiness. Each Operations Coordinator will create and maintain systems that will allow users to experience all NMSI programming seamlessly.
What are the details?
Events Management Coordination
- Responsible for independently coordinating all in-person and online event management steps, including by not limited to:
- Setup courses and create and monitor sections in Blackboard;
- Manage event registration and attendance;
- Schedule coaches and manage all necessary logistics;
- Coordinate supply delivery;
- Utilize communication channels, including the NMSI Partner Portal, to distribute event details and action items;
- Facilitate travel and expense system implementation
Program Delivery Automation and Process Enhancement
- Participate in cross-functional strategy planning to inform NMSI’s evolving technology solutions.
- Provide critical user-input and recommendations to Technology team to inform system evolution and enhancement
- Create near-term solutions that ease NMSI’s manual processes, providing space for NMSI to develop long-term automated solutions.
- Respond to real-time shifts in process and workflows given system limitations to identify manual workarounds that allow NMSI to execute world-class programming
- Partner with the Coach Development Team to:
- Schedule coaches based on established criteria;
- Collaborate on communication to coaches;
- Report on coach utilization for each training cycle;
- Support management of coaches, including expense approvals as well as onboarding;
- Partner with the Finance Team to:
- Implement travel and expense system
- Partner with the Programmatic Partnership team to:
- Report on NMSI Partner Portal Enrollment Status;
- Share training event details and resources;
- Secure training dates and district-specific needs;
- Coordinate receipt of Facilities Agreement when applicable;
- Provide event registration and attendance
- Manage coach scheduling
- Manage communication with coaches to ensure timely, accurate, and world class communication / experience
- As a Fresh Service Agent, respond to external stakeholder needs including, but not limited to, teachers, students, district and school leaders, new/potential partners, affiliates, etc.
Other Duties as Assigned
- NMSI is evolving at a rapid and exciting pace. To keep up with the demand for innovative online solutions, and remain relevant in the field, our program delivery model can experience significant changes within a program year cycle. This requires that our Operations Coordinators thrive in a fast pace environment and can leverage independent problem solving to guarantee our commitment to world class programming.
What are we looking for?
- Education & Experience – You have a bachelor’s degree and at least two years of professional work experience; an understanding of the school system is a strong plus.
- Entrepreneurial – You live for the hustle that’s required to forge new paths; you collaborate well with others to make things happen.
- Relationship Builder – You have a knack for building relationships quickly and inspiring those around you.
- Organized & Productive – You are a master at planning your day and not letting distractions come in between meeting your goals.
- Customer Centric – You support external and internal customers--in this case teachers and fellow colleagues--by providing exceptional follow-through and follow-up, no matter what. You get satisfaction from making someone’s job easier.
- Reliable – You can work effectively with minimal supervision, but you also know when to ask for help
- Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities; you’re able to travel when necessary.
- Growth Mindset – You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also eager to give feedback to your manager and colleagues.
- Expert Communicator – You can engage audiences through vivid storytelling; you are a concise, compelling writer.
- Inclusive – You can work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or job type—or any other factor that makes us unique!
- Tech Savvy – You embrace technology as a tool to enhance your work effectiveness but not as a means to replace hard work; you are adept at learning new technologies quickly.
- Sense of Humor – You don’t take yourself too seriously; work hard play hard is your mantra
Want to learn more?
The National Math and Science Initiative is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today’s classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI began by dramatically improving student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states, and is having a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes.
NMSI Next, our five-year strategic plan, deepens our commitment to transform our current programs. In doing so, we will also launch a bold approach to partnering with school systems that drives outcomes not only at the student and school system levels, but also at the regional and national levels. NMSI Next is anchored on the concept that the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts and that our teamwork and program work go hand in hand. Additionally, we believe that our impact at the school system, regional, and national levels will reinforce itself to ensure population level outcomes.
We believe STEM education is the greatest lever to accessing opportunity and is unmatched in unlocking student potential.
Specifically, NMSI Next will implement the following strategic levers so that all students, especially those furthest from opportunity, thrive and reach their highest potential as problem solvers and lifelong learners, pursue their passions and tackle the world’s toughest challenges.
- Catalyze bold thinking and enduring solutions for all students nationally
- Collaborate with regional stakeholders to drive sustainable changes
- Provide school systems a world class K-12 solution set
- Build a strong, sustainable, and nimble organization positioning us to deliver exponential impact
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.