The Simons Foundation is currently recruiting an Accounting Associate to join the accounting and reporting team. The Accounting Associate will report to the accounting manager and will be responsible for supporting the full accounting cycle and related reporting needs.
- Maintain and analyze the general ledger accounting records, prepare and post routine general journal entries, and assist in preparation of the monthly close.
- Prepare month-end bank reconciliations as well as additional balance sheet account reconciliations, including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable and other asset and liability accounts.
- Assist with book-to-tax reconciliations and true-ups of significant deferral accounts.
- Maintain fixed-assets sub-ledger and bring fixed assets online and run monthly depreciation reports.
- Record investment valuation adjustments based on monthly statements.
- Prepare variance analysis and related commentary on the statement of activities.
- Prepare schedules and analyses to be incorporated into the monthly and annual reporting packages for both internal and external use.
- Respond to periodic requests for accounting analyses and take on special projects as needed.
- Assist ongoing efforts to improve processes and make operations more efficient.
- Maintain monthly accounting files and ensure documents are properly organized.
- Provide support during annual audit and assist the team in responding to requests from external auditors.
- Prepare schedules in support of the foundation's regulatory filings inclusive of state and federal tax filings.
- Understand workflows between teams and coordinate follow-ups with other teams as appropriate.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or business preferred. Other degrees will be considered based on level of relevant experience.
- 3-4 years of relevant experience. Public accounting experience preferred.
- Must have technical and computational accounting skills as well as an understanding of US GAAP and applicable industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics GP is a plus.
- Familiarity with IRS regulations with respect to exempt organizations, particularly private foundations, is a plus.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must demonstrate initiative and critical-thinking skills, and the ability to prioritize workload to deliver high-quality results on time.
- Adaptive to a dynamic, rapidly growing work environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as in groups.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Minimum Education Required