Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice), a not-for-profit legal services organization founded in 1996 to protect and promote the basic human rights of immigrants, has a multicultural and a multilingual staff. AI Justice has represented clients from around the world and is recognized as a powerful advocate and national leader for immigrants' rights. AI Justice works closely with traditional civil rights groups as well as grassroots organizations and local, state and national government officials to affect positive change in immigration policies.
DUTIES:AI Justice is seeking a qualified, full-time Staff Attorney for its work with unaccompanied immigrant children. Job responsibilities include: Legal representation in immigration proceedings before the Immigration Court; appellate proceedings before the Board of Immigration Appeals; proceedings before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and proceedings in state family and juvenile courts within the Miami Immigration Court jurisdiction. The Staff Attorney will represent clients seeking immigration benefits, including asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status, and/or T or U nonimmigrant status, and state court orders necessary to support SIJ applications. The Staff Attorney also will be required to conduct legal screenings of detained and non-detained unaccompanied minors to determine eligibility for legal relief and representation by AI Justice, provide advice and counsel to unaccompanied minors, and comply with other program reporting.
- Preference for two years' experience in immigration law, including experience with Special Immigrant Juvenile, asylum, VAWA, T and/or U visa cases
- Preference for experience in family, child welfare and/or juvenile law related matters
- Preference for experience working with children, domestic violence victims and/or other victims of trauma
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills; strong communication and group leadership skills
- Interest in policy advocacy at the national level
- Excellent presentation skills for community outreach, education and training
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to work well with people of diverse educational, cultural and professional backgrounds
- Experience with immigration and/or child dependency legal clinics in law school would be especially helpful
- Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish required
- Must have own transportation
- Must be willing to submit to an extensive background check, including FBI, statewide repository, and sex offender registry checks
- JD degree required. Florida Bar membership required.
Location: Miami, FL
Application deadline: Open until filled. Must be ready to begin employment immediately.
Interested Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com
AI Justice offers a comprehensive benefits package
Level of Language Proficiency
Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write CHILDREN'S LEGAL PROGRAM STAFF ATTORNEY in the subject line. You may also mail your resume to Human Resources, Americans for Immigrant Justice, 3000 Biscayne Blvd., #400, Miami, FL 33137.Interviews: Top candidates will be invited to interview. AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and encourages women and minorities to apply