350 Los Ranchitos Road
Guide Dogs for the Blind, located in beautiful San Rafael, CA, has an incredible opportunity for a Residence Manager overseeing operations in our Student Residence. If you are someone who thrives in a mission-driven and community-oriented environment, and enjoys working with a dedicated team helping to carry out our life changing mission, this could be the position for you!
The Residence Manager is responsible for planning and managing California residential operations. This position works collaboratively with the OR Residence Manager and direct reports to develop strategic operations plans aligned with the organization’s mission, vision, and values to provide exceptional customer service for clients, staff, guests and constituents. Responsibilities include:
- Strong operational performance and continual monitoring of all operational policies and procedures to provide optimal service for food quality, dietary restrictions, meal delivery and housing functions.
- Provides overall direction and manages performance for Supervisors and front line employees, ensuring employee development, engagement and compliance with human resource related policies and standards.
- Supervises staff and offers training, motivation and development of skills. Evaluates, monitors performance and provides regular feedback; promotes teamwork; holds staff accountable; manages schedules and workflow.
- Purchases, maintains, and tracks inventory of food and dormitory supplies, equipment and other materials to ensure that sufficient stock is on hand at reasonable cost.
- Ensures compliance for food safety, sanitation, and overall workplace safety standards.
- Plans and oversees housekeeping staff in periodic cleaning tasks to ensure work is done efficiently and thoroughly, with respect for students’ work schedules and privacy, and with high regard for the security of their personal belongings.
- Thorough understanding of industry standards as well as staying up to date with industry trends; communicates/incorporates information to ensure kitchen/facility remains current.
- Ensures all food preparation/service and residence facility operations are in compliance with all legislated health and licensing guidelines and adheres to all health and safety regulations and procedures. Performs and directs scheduled inspections to ensure that all areas of the facility are properly cleaned exceeding departmental standards
- Prepares annual budget for Dorm and monitor costs throughout year, including replacement of worn-out materials, equipment, or furnishings. Maintain meal records and analyze meal and other dormitory costs periodically.
- Assists with coordinating and supporting Safety trainings for all staff, adheres to our organization's safety policies and procedures and promptly reports incidents and accidents according to campus procedures.
- Collaborates with Training and Nursing staff to accommodate student special requests.
- Oversees or participates in planning and coordinating special events on campus, as required and assists staff with job functions as needed to ensure optimum service to all patrons.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience with managing staff in a hospitality / client service environment and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Other skills, qualities and experience include:
- Minimum five years of experience in food service and/or housekeeping areas, including inventory control and purchasing. Culinary or nutritional training highly desirable.
- At least two years of experience in a supervisory or lead position, directing the work of others.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, presentation and analytical skills. Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a diverse staff, volunteers, and community in a professional manner at all times, both written and verbally.
- Ability and initiative to work with minimal supervision and direction and demonstrated competence in reacting to and handling emergencies.
- Maintain ServSafe Manager Accreditation.
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds; walk, stand, and reach. Able to be on feet 6 to 8 hours per day. Employees are required to seek assistance when lifting objects weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Able to work on weekend days as part of workweek and to be on-call for emergencies.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Availability to travel regularly to Oregon (4 times per year)
- Sensitivity to and ability to work around individuals with disabilities and dogs.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position offering a competitive salary and benefits package. Apply online at www.guidedogs.com/careers. Can't access our online application for employment? Send us your cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required