While young people from low-income communities – who are disproportionately young people of color – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life, they possess unique strengths, resilience and tremendous potential. When provided with support and resources, these young people fulfill their potential and achieve success in school, work and life.
Through a combination of mentoring and transformative experiences, Summer Search supports young people to successfully transition from adolescence into adulthood. We aim to unleash the potential of our young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
At the onset of a new four-year strategic plan, Summer Search is poised for its next phase of growth, innovation and impact. With a vision to foster the development of “students who fulfill their potential and lead their families and communities to thrive,” we aim to broaden our program outcomes to include education, employment, and income, expand our post-secondary support to students, and increase the size our incoming class by 50% by 2022.
The Vice President of Talent is a new position and a core member of Summer Search’s senior management team. Setting the vision for how the organization attracts, develops, and retains talent, the VP will set and drive key strategies to keep our people “front and center,” ensuring staff are able to succeed and grow across the entire organizational chart. The VP will ensure the proper infrastructure, systems, and processes are in place to support a robust talent function. The VP will also champion Summer Search’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) work, partnering closely with staff and board members to operationalize an EDI strategy. Above all, the VP will be a culture carrier with a commitment to Summer Search’s values, students, and employees.
Specifically, the Vice President of Talent will:
Lead a comprehensive and long-term talent strategy
• Provide the strategic leadership for a talent vision that sustains an organization through growth and change, and champion talent as an engine for achieving Summer Search’s mission.
• Serve as a key member of the Senior Management Team; work with team to build strong culture, norms, and dynamics within this group.
• Manage a 4-member talent team and determine the right staffing required in order to execute upon emerging talent strategies.
• Collaborate with department and site leaders on annual planning and budgeting process to ensure that issues of headcount, staffing, talent management, and succession planning are included in the overall annual plans.
• Design and direct talent analysis and evaluation, holding leadership and talent team accountable for success against metrics and milestones.
• Lead the Talent Committee of the National Board of Directors.
Champion and advance equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) initiatives
• Oversee and institutionalize an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) strategy that focuses on: 1) cultural humility, 2) unconscious bias, and 3) an understanding of systems of oppression and how these systems impact our work.
• Ensure that our guiding principles of EDI align with organizational goals and are woven into all aspects of talent acquisition/management/development/operations and organizational culture. Lead behavioral change that emerges from EDI work.
• Collaborate closely with program and development leadership to ensure that EDI efforts are in sync across student-facing programming, donor-facing activities, and staff-facing initiatives.
• Lead the EDI Committee of the National Board of Directors.
Oversee a talent function that drives high staff performance and engagement
• Ensure organizational needs and strategic priorities drive all aspects of hiring, managing, developing, and retaining top talent.
• Establish and institutionalize sound performance management standards and a high-quality performance evaluation practice e.g. 360 reviews, SMART goal setting.
• Promote the development of clear career paths to drive staff retention and growth; oversee succession planning for current and future leadership roles.
• Regularly evaluate and adapt a competitive benefit and compensation programs, partnering with the COO and VP of Finance to ensure that all programs are financially viable.
• Position talent/HR function as a highly proactive and helpful resource that has a pulse on staff experience and opportunities to increase staff engagement.
Provide overall leadership in HR administration and employee relations
• In collaboration with VP of Finance, oversee talent/HR administration including payroll, benefits, employment policy and procedures, and 401K administration, with a focus on developing and maintaining equitable practices.
• Act as organizational representation on complex personnel situations, resolving equitably in partnership with external legal counsel, as needed.
• Ensure compliance with all workplace laws and regulations.
• Serve as executive sponsor for HR and talent-related vendor contracts e.g. 401K, insurance broker.
WHO YOU ARE
The VP of Talent will embody Summer Search’s values and lead with authenticity, purpose, and a “people first” mentality. Specifically, this hire will bring these competencies:
• PASSION FOR MISSION: A heartfelt commitment to Summer Search’s mission of unleashing students’ potential through mentoring and transformative experiences.
• EXPERIENCE: At least 15 years of work experience, and 5 in a leadership role, in strategic human resources or talent management. Experience at a national or multi-site nonprofit is a big plus.
• STRATEGIC MINDSET: Ability to develop strategies that drive the broad, big-picture view of the organization and its mission, linking long-range visions and priorities to daily work.
• COLLABORATIVE AND CHANGE LEADERSHIP: A leadership approach that demonstrates openness, inclusiveness, and shared purpose. Experience leading diverse groups of stakeholders through change and engaging others in ways that build trust and enthusiasm.
• EDI KNOWLEDGE AND ANALYSIS: Cultural sensitivity and humility with an understanding of institutionalized racism and classism facing low-income communities of color. Commitment to developing self-awareness and helping teams engage around Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
• EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATIONS: A communication style that fosters openness, demonstrates awareness of self and others, and conveys authenticity in all interactions. An attentive listener with the ability to ensure others feel heard and valued.
• TEAM LEADERSHIP: A skilled supervisor with experience in hiring, managing, and evaluating staff, including the ability to coach staff on prioritizing their work in order to achieve the maximum impact
• VALUES ALIGNMENT: A commitment to advancing a talent-focused culture that is aligned with organizational values of excellence, curiosity, gratitude, well-being, diversity, authenticity, and collaboration.
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our investment includes:
• Competitive salaries. The salary range for this position is $140,000 - $155,000.
• Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
• Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
• 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
• Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, 10 company-wide holidays and a 1-week December closure.
• Individual, local, regional and national training
• A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
• An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care
• Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team.
We hope you will join us as we continue to build a diverse organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
SUMMER SEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Level of Language Proficiency
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
• General knowledge of human resource administration, including compensation practices, benefit administration, and employment related laws, e.g. COBRA, EEO, FMLA, FLSA, and related state and federal regulations.
• Experience with HRIS, performance management, learning and development, and other HR systems.
• Bachelor’s degree is required. PHR, MBA, MPA, or other relevant advanced certification/degree is strongly desired.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here and submit a resume and targeted cover letter that answers the question, "Why are you interested in working at Summer Search?" Please address your cover letter to Nick Hutchinson, Chief Operating Officer.