Details: Salary will be commensurate with experience.
195 West Houston Street
Gilda's Club NYC
Positon: Director of Development reporting to the CEO
Location: New York City
Gilda’s Club New York City (GCNYC) is the founding organization of Gilda’s Club, and for 23 years has created welcoming communities of free support for everyone living with cancer – men, women, teens, and children – along with their families and friends. Our mission is to support, educate and empower cancer patients and their families. GCNYC’s innovative program is an essential complement to medical care, providing networking and support groups, educational lectures, healthy lifestyle workshops, and social activities, all free of charge. We believe no one should face cancer alone. In 2017 we served 12,000 New Yorkers living with cancer at our beautiful Clubhouse in West Houston and at hospital partners around the city. For more information on Gilda’s Club New York City, please visit www.gildasclubnyc.org.
The Director of Development will be responsible for all fundraising activities including planning, budget development, management and implementation of fundraising initiatives: individual and major gifts; foundation, corporate and government support; events; cause related marketing; direct mail and electronic mail; social media, and marketing communications. Researching, building and maintaining prospects, donors, corporate and foundation grants with a strong understanding of and commitment to the Gilda’s Club New York City mission will be a priority. In addition, the Director of Development will supervise a small development team and will be the liaison for the Associate Board (our young leadership group of volunteers).
- Work closely with the CEO and Board to set high standards of philanthropy.
- Monitor philanthropic trends and develop short and long term fundraising strategies aimed at maximizing contributed income from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Develop, implement and monitor the following fundraising programs including:
- Individual giving including major gifts & planned giving
- Government, foundation and corporate giving
- Annual Appeals
- Special Events
- Cause Related Marketing
- Marketing Communications and Social Media
- Work closely with the CEO and program to assess fundraising needs as determined by three year business plan goals, operating needs and annual plan priorities.
- Develop annual fundraising budgets, and prepare and monitor income projections, progress reports and long-range/business plan forecasts.
- Maintain and develop new contacts with funders, both individuals and organizations, and build the involvement of CEO and Board members in the solicitation and donor stewardship processes.
- Direct, coordinate, and support ancillary activities of the fundraising plan including: prospect research, development of proposals and bi-annual appeals, and donor acknowledgements.
- Oversee the implementation of data management systems and fundraising records.
The Director of Development will supervise a staff of three and serve as a liaison for the Associate Board (young professional volunteers) and their fundraising activities.
Ten or more years experience in diversified fundraising; demonstrated experience in strategic philanthropy, event management, marketing, major gifts solicitation and planned giving, donor stewardship, proposal development and presentation.
Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to create and sustain strong working relationships with donors, board members and staff.
Ability to serve as an articulate and compelling spokesperson for the organization.
Passionate about the organization’s mission.
Entrepreneurial and intellectually curious; ability to recognize strategic and tactical opportunities and proactively pursue them; not scared to think out of the box.
A team player with the ability to work independently as necessary.
Strong writing skills and experience in the preparation of foundation proposals, corporate sponsorship requests, major donor solicitations, event materials and all other related documents.
Excellent financial reporting and budgeting skills and experience; a finance background/P&L responsibility is a plus.
Superior organizational skills and the ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
Advanced degree in business, non-profit or public administration a plus. Experience in the private sector and healthcare a plus.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Gilda’s Club NYC has retained the services of St. James Strategy to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put Gilda’s Club NYC in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.