Interested in empowering students to become confident readers and lifelong learners? Join Reading Partners as an AmeriCorps Literacy Lead!
The AmeriCorps Literacy Lead is a direct tutoring support position within our in-person reading centers and in using our remote tutoring system for distance tutoring, focusing on target students in need of more individualized instruction. This role, especially in a distance tutoring environment, may also interact with parents and caregivers.
What you’ll do:
Direct Tutoring & Student Support
- Tutor an average of 10-15 target students twice per week
- Identify alternative methods to provide more intensive and individualized literacy strategies to meet our students’ learning needs
Relationship Management & Communication
- Forge and maintain positive relationships
- Create a positive tutoring environment for students and caregivers
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Root your service in our vision & values
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Have not completed more than three (3) prior AmeriCorps or VISTA service terms
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment and are dedicated to successfully completing a full term of service
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Are open to learning technology systems like Salesforce, Google Apps, and Zoom Conferencing
- Bonus Points if you are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna; and/or have experience volunteering with community-based or education programs
What we offer:
- Reading Partners is committed to your growth and development. We offer a supportive culture, on-going professional development opportunities, and coaching designed to catapult you into your next career
- 11-month living allowance of $22,100.10 and an education award of $6,895 after successfully completing your service term
- $500 mid-year bonus and a $3,000 end-of-year bonus (note: the EOY bonus will only be paid out to members who complete their full service term. If a member needs to exit the program for a compelling personal circumstance, the bonus would be prorated based on the number of hours served)
- Public transportation reimbursement at $127/month for 10-months
- CPR Certification
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage at no monthly cost to you
- Opportunities for networking with thousands of service-minded individuals
- Childcare assistance available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal loans
Reading Partners is a national literacy nonprofit that engages community volunteers and AmeriCorps service members to support elementary-aged students on their path toward reading proficiency. Reading Partners is also committed to building a culturally competent and representative team to advance social justice through our service in schools and communities. Learn more about Reading Partners at readingpartners.org. Learn more about serving a year with AmeriCorps at https://www.americorps.gov/about.
- AmeriCorps members must live within commuting distance and have access to reliable transportation on a daily basis
- AmeriCorps members will be required to serve full-time and on location. This is not a tele-service position except when mandated by local and/or organizational COVID-19 protocols.
- Should the need exist, all AmeriCorps members will be provided PPE (personal protective equipment)
- Due to the changing nature of serving in public education, AmeriCorps members may be asked to transition to another Reading Partners AmeriCorps position in the same region
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Vaccination Policy: AmeriCorps members will adhere to Reading Partners mask and vaccination policies, as well as to those of school-districts, which may vary depending on the region you are applying to serve with.
Join Reading Partners and leave a legacy that will last long beyond an unforgettable and life-changing AmeriCorps service term!
Applications considered on a rolling basis. Please email AmeriCorps@readingpartners.org with questions or if you’d like to connect with a team member!