Under direction of the Chapter Director, the Program Coordinator is responsible for the effective development and implementation of the Forest Watch Campaign - an initiative to connect people with nature through conservation outings like hikes and paddling trips. The Coordinator oversees creation of the conservation campaign and developing the strategy and helps to carry out organizational and issue visibility in regional, national media and in the local community. Provides leadership in working with volunteer leaders, national, state and local conservation staff on conservation outings. Evaluates and measures success of activities within the campaign to ensure progress towards the campaign or program's mission and goals. Helps determine changes to strategies needed to reach goals.
- Develops and implements campaign strategies for the Forest Watch Initiative in the Delaware River watershed in accordance with the chapter policy.
- Recruits, coordinates and facilitates grassroots involvement and cultivates relationships with public officials and partner to implement the Forest Watch Campaign in the Delaware River watershed.
- Works with staff volunteer leaders and other interest groups to identify, recruit and organize volunteers for conservation campaigns.
- Plans, develops and implements campaign strategies to obtain media coverage in regional and national media outlets. Participates in the development of media campaigns; may represent the Sierra Club in the media; promotes volunteer media exposure.
- Monitors, analyzes, and evaluates laws, initiatives and new developments affecting a specific conservation issue at the community, state and national levels.
- Makes presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies regarding chapter conservation efforts. Writes press releases newsletters, flyers, etc. to keep the Club membership and the general public informed.
- Advocates the Sierra Club position on proposed legislation involving conservation programs; informs and communicates with elected officials, business leaders, governmental agencies, and other nonprofit organizations.
- Conducts surveys, investigations, and research needed to achieve objectives of conservation program.
- Works on task forces, committees, etc. representing the Club's objective or mission.
- Works closely with media representatives to ensure that the message of the Club is accurately represented by the media.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Note: this is a remote position, so location is flexible within northeast PA.
Minimum Education Required