Full Time Contract
The Agency: Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice), a not-for-profit legal services organization founded in 1996 to protect and promote the basic human rights of immigrants, has a multicultural and a multilingual staff. AI Justice has represented clients from around the world and is recognized as a powerful advocate and national leader for immigrants' rights. AI Justice works closely with traditional civil rights groups as well as grassroots organizations and local, state and national government officials to affect positive change in immigration policies.
DUTIES: AI Justice is seeking a qualified Contract Attorney for its work with unaccompanied immigrant children. The attorney will assist unaccompanied minors in immigration custody detained in Homestead, Florida. This is a short-term contract position as funding for this position will only be available as long as the Office of Refugee and Resettlement (ORR) shelter remains open in Homestead, Florida.
Job responsibilities include:
- Conduct and review legal screenings of detained unaccompanied minors to determine eligibility for legal relief.
- Provide counsel and advice to detained unaccompanied minors.
- Conduct "Know Your Rights" presentations.
- Participate in regularly scheduled calls and in person meetings with stakeholders and team members.
- Work closely and maintain strong relationships with various government agencies and social service providers
- If necessary, prepare detained unaccompanied minors for court hearings and appear as "Friend of Court."
- If necessary, provide direct representation for some detained unaccompanied minors seeking immigration relief, including asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ) status, and/or T or U nonimmigrant status, and state court orders necessary to support SIJ applications.
- Comply with other data and program reporting requirements.
- Train and oversee paralegals, volunteers, and interns.
- Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish REQUIRED
- Preference for experience in immigration law, including experience with Special Immigrant Juvenile, asylum, VAWA, T and/or U visa cases
- Preference for experience in family, child welfare and/or juvenile law related matters
- Preference for experience working with domestic violence victims and/or other victims of trauma
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills; strong communication and group leadership skills
- Excellent presentation skills for community outreach, education and training
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to work well with people of diverse educational, cultural and professional backgrounds
- Experience with immigration and/or child dependency legal clinics in law school would be especially helpful
- Experience working with children is a plus
- Must have own transportation
- Must be willing to submit to an extensive background check, including FBI, statewide repository, and sex offender registry checks
- JD degree required. Florida Bar membership preferred.
Location: Homestead, FL
Application deadline: Open until filled. Must be ready to begin employment immediately
Level of Language Proficiency
Fully bilingual, including reading and writing, in English and Spanish REQUIRED
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write CHILDREN'S LEGAL PROGRAM CONTRACT ATTORNEY in the subject line. You may also mail your resume to Human Resources, Americans for Immigrant Justice, 3000 Biscayne Blvd., #400, Miami, FL 33137.
Interviews: Top candidates will be invited to interview and submit references. AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.