About the Role
Working directly for the Assistant Vice President for Advancement, the Development Associate for Major Gifts provides a full range of administrative and logistical support.
The position is part of the advancement team, working closely with development officers and other personnel responsible for The Huntington’s comprehensive fundraising efforts. Professional office demeanor and appearance are a must since the position interacts daily with The Huntington’s community of donors, prospective donors, members of the governing boards, and senior institutional leadership.
- Supporting the Assistant Vice President of Advancement and Associate Director of Major Gifts, responsible for administrative support such as correspondence, details for appointments and meetings, donor visits, responding to telephone calls, handling expense reports, and maintaining major gifts files and records.
- Drafts, edits, and prepares gift acknowledgements on behalf of Vice President and Assistant Vice President for Advancement. Manages periods of high volume to ensure timely preparation. Ensures acknowledgements are appropriate for the donor, gift purpose, and special appeals.
- Responsible for quarterly review of Raiser’s Edge database to ensure accurate prospect ratings and assignments. Works with Prospect Managers and Advancement Services Director to resolve discrepancies.
- Assists with preparation of the narrative and narrative donor lists for the Advancement section of the annual report.
- Working with Associate Director of Major Gifts, processes and monitors memorial and tribute gifts, and gifts in-kind to ensure proper donor recognition and stewardship.
- Assists Assistant Vice President and Associate Director in organizing and supporting on-site events with direct responsibility for various logistical details.
- Handles donor visits on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for special projects as assigned by Vice President or Assistant Vice President.
- Shared departmental and other duties as assigned, including evening and weekend work.
Candidate Requirements and Experience
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- A minimum of three years of nonprofit experience preferred. Bachelor's degree or equivalent strongly recommended.
- Must be proactive and able to think beyond the moment.
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to effectively prioritize and organize multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
- Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and high level of accuracy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, including strong proof-reading and editing skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and high level of comfort navigating the Internet as well as on-line databases. Experience with Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred.
- Position requires the highest level of integrity and discretion with ability to regularly handle time-sensitive and confidential information.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and collegial environment where credit and successes are shared by the entire advancement team.