38 Delancey Street
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
The mission of the Great Oaks Charter Schools is to prepare students to succeed in college. What sets Great Oaks Charter Schools apart from other charters is the use of a high-dosage tutoring model implemented by the Great Oaks Tutors Corps, a group of recent college graduates who provide two hours of daily tutoring to every student. At Great Oaks, we are committed to providing a rigorous 6-12 academic program, fostering a positive school culture and building authentic relationships with families.
We are seeking hard-working, tenacious people who share the belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – New York City
The Great Oaks (GO) Charter School - New York City opened in the Fall of 2013 on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The school currently serves 225 students in 6th-8th grades. At scale, Great Oaks - NYC will serve students in grades 6th-12th. The school has a focus on serving English Language Learners with about half the students coming from a home where a language other than English is spoken.
Middle School Math Teacher Position Summary
Great teachers are at the heart of what we do, and are the key to our students’ success. Our most successful teachers are mission driven, adaptable and a have collaborative team mindset.
Key responsibilities include:
Drive student outcomes by:
- Aligning planning to the math Common Core Standards and student assessment data
- Using data-driven techniques to set ambitious goals for scholars
- Collaborating with the Special Services team and Tutor Corps to build differentiated learning plans for all scholars
- Maintaining consistent communications with families regarding student progress
- Taking a leadership role in the Grade Level Planning team and in the Student Support Services Team
- Holding weekly Office Hours and Homework Help Center
Maintain strong classroom and school culture by:
- Clearly and consistently communicating and upholding school rules, values, and expectations in and out of the classroom
- Setting an urgent, respectful, and positive tone in the classroom
- Displaying extraordinary time management to maximize student learning
- Building relationships with students that communicate the importance of college success and your belief that they will succeed
- Building a collaborative, respectful advisory classroom community
- Taking on responsibilities outside of their content area instruction such as advisory, lunch duty, enrichment classes, and after school activities
Plan a rigorous curriculum and deliver strong instruction by:
- Demonstrating solid knowledge and understanding of math content
- Using a multitude of instructional strategies that are academically rigorous and highly engaging
- Executing detailed lesson plans mapped to specific Common Core standards
- Taking responsibility for student progress; constantly working to respond to students’ need
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have proven success in implementing high-quality instruction that led to the improvement of student achievement in an urban school. S/he will possess exceptional relationship building skills and the ability to communicate clearly to multiple stakeholders. The successful candidate will also have:
- A strong academic record with a Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university required; advanced degree in subject area preferred
- At least two years of experience improving student achievement at an urban school
- State teaching certification in secondary math (strongly preferred)
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- An exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.
This position is for the 2018-2019 school year and the successful candidate will start in the beginning of August, 2018. Selected candidates will be contacted to setup a phone interview.
Minimum Education Required