394 Rogers Avenue
Overnight Camp Director
About Trail Blazers
In 1887, John Ames Mitchell, editor of Life magazine, raised $800 to send 266 children from New York City to the Life Fresh Air Farm in Branchville, Connecticut. Since that summer, Trail Blazers has sponsored thousands of children to take part in outdoor adventures where learning happens experientially.
Our decentralized overnight camp program is situated on 1000 forested acres in northwest New Jersey. We value small group connections, engaging with our environment, taking on challenges, and giving children a voice and a choice in their experiences. We believe in unstructured play and the importance of the whole learning process. We strive to show care for ourselves, each other, our communities, and our environment. We think that every child deserves the opportunity to play, learn, and grow at camp, and our extensive scholarship program ensures that Trail Blazers is accessible for all.
We are looking for an experienced camp director to lead our overnight camp into its 133rd summer. You will be joining a small team of passionate professionals in an energetic and dedicated work environment.
In Season, mid-June – end of August (Montague, NJ): You will direct all operational and programmatic aspects of camp, including camper dynamics, supervision/coaching of 60-75 seasonal staff members, parent communication, program quality and logistics, and medical and food service operations.
Out-of-Season, September – May (Brooklyn, NY): Your projects and activities will relate to the preparation for and enhancement of the Trail Blazers summer program, including management and coordination of camper recruitment efforts, summer staff onboarding, agency partnership building, program and training evaluation/development, and facilitating winter/spring camp programs.
Required Skills and Qualifications
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in youth development, non-profit management, human services, or a related field
2. Minimum 5 years progressively responsible managerial and supervisory experience in a residential camp setting; experience with outdoor adventure programming or decentralized camping highly preferred
3. Substantial knowledge of child development, from elementary age through young adult
4. Demonstrated success cultivating environments that empower others to lead
5. High level analytic, problem solving, verbal, and written communications skills
6. Demonstrated ability to provide high-level customer service
7. Must meet all ACA standards for resident camp directors, including a minimum age of 25
8. Demonstrated commitment to professional development and growth
9. Proficiency in the use of computers and excellent familiarity with Microsoft Office software
Trail Blazers contributes to employee/family health insurance plan after 1 month, and offers a 403(b) retirement account after 1 year. Room and board provided during summer season. NOTE: Due to the specific nature and set-up of our program, on-site accommodation for family members is limited.
Minimum Education Required