Details: Commentsurate with experience and qualifications.
East Palo Alto
Foundation for a College Education (FCE), located in East Palo Alto, California, is a nonprofit organization that offers a comprehensive college access and success program. FCE’s mission is to increase the number of students of color from East Palo Alto and similar communities who graduate from a four-year college or university. FCE has been recognized locally (Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce) and nationally (Lumina Foundation and the Educational Policy Institute) as an outstanding college access and college completion organization.
FCE is seeking a Director of Programs with the ability to manage program growth, and mentor and develop staff. The Director of Programs will possess the skills to develop and maintain relationships with FCE students and families, school and community partners, and other college access organizations. The Director of Programs is a senior-level leader who reports to the Executive Director.
The primary responsibility of the Director of Programs is to lead and manage FCE’s core programs, which work with students from grade six through college graduation. Specific responsibilities include overseeing all aspects of FCE’s direct service programs:
· Lead, evaluate and train program staff (4.0 FTE) and volunteer team (30+) to ensure delivery of high quality programs and services.
· Manage program budgets; ensure cost-effectiveness.
· Plan, implement, and evaluate core programs, calendars and events.
· Prepare reports to Board of Directors and grant makers.
· Maintain program enrollment through effective outreach, recruitment and admissions services.
· Oversee volunteer component, including recruitment, screening, and training of mentors, tutors, and advisors.
· Build relationships with middle school, high school, and district administration on behalf of FCE and FCE families, students, and volunteers.
· Carry out the programmatic components of FCE’s strategic plan.
· Oversee the creation of an FCE alumni association.
Desired Skills and Characteristics
To be successful, the Director of Programs should be:
· Committed to the mission of FCE and the educational development and support of underserved youth and families.
· Knowledgeable about issues surrounding the education of underserved youth and families and well versed in the K-16 education system.
· Able to create and implement effective evaluation processes and procedures.
· A skilled communicator.
· Able to motivate, inspire and empower staff, youth, and families.
· Experienced in the effective management of nonprofit organizations.
· Experienced in establishing cross-agency collaborations and partnerships among schools and organizations.
· Able to develop strong working relationships with a diverse group of community members.
· Flexible, with a good sense of humor and thrives in a challenging and ever-changing work climate.
· Available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
The ideal candidate has:
· A minimum of ten-years of experience in 6-16 education, specifically college counseling, college admissions, or higher education administration. Experience working with middle schools, secondary schools and school district administrators; some high school or middle school teaching experience ideal.
· Fluency in spoken and written Spanish.
· Excellent writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
· Attentive to detail, highly organized and capable of managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines.
· Management experience, ideally in a community-based nonprofit or educational institution, working with youth, families and local community members as well as diverse populations.
· Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point and database programs.
· A Master’s degree (preferred but not required).
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Compensation includes a benefits package, which provides health, dental, and life insurance, and a self-funded retirement plan.
Foundation for a College Education is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email resume and cover letter.
Health, dental and life insurance and self-funded retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in spoken and written Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter.