ABOUT RECOVERY CAFÉ AND RECOVERY CAFÉ NETWORK
Our Mission: We are a community of individuals who have been traumatized by homelessness, addiction and other mental health challenges coming to know we are loved and that we have gifts to share. Recovery Café was founded on the truth that every human being is precious and beloved regardless of past trauma, mental and emotional anguish, addictive behaviors, or mistakes made. We provide a beautiful, safe, warm, drug and alcohol free space, as well as aloving community to anchor Members (our most closely-supported consumers) in the sustained recovery needed to gain and maintain access to housing, social and health services, healthy relationships, education and employment. Our program is designed to help people maintain recovery, reduce relapse, and fulfill their potential.
The Recovery Café Network (RCN) is committed to nurturing groups seeking to start recovery communities based on the Recovery Café model. Through a cohort learning model, groups and organizations are provided mentorship, materials, expertise, and facilitated learning experiences to create a recovery community in their area. The Network is committed to helping those who join the Network be successful in starting their program, building recovery capital in their communities, and offering effective long-term recovery support for years to come.
Reporting to the Recovery Café Network Director, and working closely with the Recovery Café San Jose Executive Director, the California Bay Area New Member Catalyst (Catalyst) will be a champion of the RC model throughout the Bay Area. They will be a combination of RC advocate, potential RCN Member nurturer, thought partner, resource generator and overall “enthusiastic evangelist” for the Recovery Café Network Movement. This is a contract position and is expected to take 20 hours per week.
- Promoting the Recovery Café model and Recovery Café Network in the Bay Area and California through various communication methods in coordination with the RCN Team.
- Representing Recovery Café Network at conferences, community meetings, and other public events.
- Diligently disseminating information about RCN in ways that are appropriate to helping ensure the RCN model becomes a well-known and respected brand in the recovery arena in the California Bay area.
- Maintaining current Recovery and Wellness events calendar (such as upcoming seminars, conferences, etc.); supporting the generation of proposals for Network speaking opportunities, anticipating and meeting associated deadlines.
- In support of the above point, representing RCN at conferences as exhibitor, presenter, and/or attendee to build awareness of the Recovery Café model and RCN.
- Ensuring that RCN is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information about the Recovery Café model and the Recovery Café Network.
- Representing the RCN as point of contact for incoming inquiries around the Café model.
- Ensuring accurate and timely responses to Network inquiries via email and phone.
- Sharing information about the model in 1 to 1 and group discussions with potential implementers and making presentations on what the process of bringing a Cafe to the Bay Area involves.
- Sending out applications to potential implementers and answering questions around the application.
- Acting as a point of contact and being responsible for providing resources to assist potential implementers in completing the application process. This will include providing support and resources to assist the potential implementers in developing their own organizational and operational capacity/knowledge, addressing application concerns, and brainstorming/ being a thought partner to assist the group in their discernment process.
- Supporting the RCN Team in providing training and ongoing support to organizations implementing the Recovery Café model in the Bay Area and California.
- Arranging and hosting tours of the Recovery Café San José as requested.
- Updating and expanding contacts, monitoring engagement, and generating reports in Salesforce database.
- Providing facilitation support and delivery for local and virtual engagements, up to and including co-facilitation.
- Working with the RCN team to develop and implement strategic outreach plans.
- Supporting recruitment efforts through the above responsibilities and in specific recruitment activities as needed.
- Researching, soliciting and managing potential funding opportunities to support Recovery Cafés in the Bay Area and California in conjunction with the RCN Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Recovery Café Network Director
DESIRED EXPERIENCE, & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
*The Recovery Café Network believes in the value of diverse backgrounds and experiences. As such, if you do not have these experiences/qualifications but you believe you would be an asset to the team, please apply and explain how your background and experience would be beneficial in growing and supporting the Recovery Café Network.
Qualified candidates must have at least 5-7 years of work experience in a community engagement and/or community building. Experience in a social services or addiction recovery non-profit is preferred. This position requires an understanding of building and maintaining professional relationships and an openness to learning new skills. Candidates should have experience in public speaking and making professional presentations.
The ideal candidate is:
- organized and a self-starter;
- skilled in coordination among individuals and groups with ability to make adjustments and grow with change;
- experienced in initiating and maintaining operational functions or organizational building (preferably in the non-profit sector);
- maintains a robust and diverse network of people connected to recovery and mental wellness;
- is a firm believer in multiple paths to recovery and also appreciates medication assisted recovery;
- able to manage reporting to the Director of the RCN while being in alignment with the Executive Director of Recovery Café San José.
In addition, candidates must have the ability and willingness to travel to represent RCN and visit Cafes part of the Network across North America (estimated travel 2%).
This candidate will be expected to work on site at Recovery Café San José on a regular basis.
- A strong desire to support individuals in recovery from the trauma of addiction, mental illness, and/or homelessness and the organizations that support them
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to connect with people of various levels in an organization
- Experience creating and executing communication plans utilizing multi-platforms and approaches
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Comfortable using email, phone, video conferencing, and other such methods to collaborate with others across geographies and time zones
- Excellent team player
- Willingness and ability to accommodate a flexible schedule
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and/or Google platforms
- Experience with database systems ex. Salesforce
- Strong interest in working with diverse populations
- Experience in a social service agency a plus
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English a plus
- Experience personally or with individuals in recovery from addiction and other mental health challenges a plus
- Passion for the recovery journey personally and professionally preferred
- Motivated by collaborating to create new structures, initiatives and responses to accommodate an organization that is growing and evolving
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY?
- Be part of our movement to support effective, compassionate, communities of radical hospitality around the country helping to heal the world.
- You will be joining a Team of caring, strategic, collaborative, committed and respectful people who enjoy working together and accomplishing extraordinary things.
- Recovery Café is invested in the personal and professional growth of everyone in our community.
- Recovery Café is committed to being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that values justice.
Recovery Café is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample Sarah Burgess at email@example.com by July 28, 2021. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.