Payroll Specialist/Staff Accountant
Details: Pay is competitive; salary commensurate with experience.
1047 Amsterdam Avenue
PAYROLL SPECIALIST/STAFF ACCOUNTANT
Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine
The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine, the mother church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the seat of its Bishop, is chartered as a house of prayer for all people and a unifying center of intellectual light and leadership. It serves the many diverse people of our diocese, city, nation and world through an array of liturgical, cultural and civic events; pastoral, educational and community outreach activities; and maintains the preservation of the great architectural and historic site that is its legacy.
The Cathedral is located on an 11-acre campus on Amsterdam Avenue between 110th and 113th Streets in beautiful Morningside Heights, a few blocks south of Columbia University.
As the Payroll Specialist/Staff Accountant, you will be responsible for all aspects of payroll and also provide support to the Finance department. This role will be involved in various accounting and financial aspects of the organization.
· Responsible for full cycle payroll
· Responsible for full cycle accounts payable
· Processing of corporate AMEX payments
· Processing year-end 1099 forms
· Liaise with Senior Staff Accountant on the proper use of account codes.
· Prepare monthly and quarterly sales tax returns.
· Counting cash, preparing deposits and banking
· Responsible for bank account administration, e.g. positive pay.
· Responsible for the internal billings.
· Perform account and variance analysis on selected accounts.
· Support the monthly and annual close process.
· Support external and internal audits.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred.
- 3+ years of related experience.
- Must be detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables and v-lookups.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong analytical, organizational, verbal and communications skills.
· This job description is a descriptive list of the responsibilities and qualifications associated with this position and are not intended to be all inclusive. Employees are expected to also perform other business related duties as assigned by the supervisor or other management.
· The organization reserves the right to change, modify, or reassign job responsibilities, duties and scheduled work hours as per business needs.
· This document is a communication tool and not intended as a written or implied contract of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
· The physical demands and work environment described in this job description are representative of those that the employee will encounter and are expected to meet to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to see, be mobile, and have the ability for two-way communication with the public and staff.
· The work environment is an indoor, climate controlled office environment comprised of walled offices and group conference rooms. The noise level in the office environment is usually low. There are no protective devices necessary to be worn or utilized in the office work environment. Minimal travel is required.
HOW TO APPLY:
· Please send cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Please include the job title in the e-mail subject field.
· Please state in your cover letter where you saw the job posting.
· Please visit our web site at www.stjohndivine.org.
The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine is committed to workforce diversity.
Benefits include 95% employer-paid health and dental plans and 403(b) match.
Minimum Education Required