Horton’s Kids is a community-based organization working to drive positive change in the lives of 500 children in grades K – 12 living in two of the most under-resourced communities in southeast Washington, DC - Wellington Park and Stanton Oaks. These communities are home to children and families with big dreams and the potential needed to achieve them. However, decades of disinvestment and systemic racism have created unfair barriers to access for these families. Horton’s Kids works to remove these barriers and even the playing field by providing comprehensive academic, social-emotional, health and wellness, and family engagement supports. To learn more about Horton’s Kids, please visit www.hortonskids.org.
Details: Horton’s Kids is seeking a part-time Coordinator of Elementary Youth Development (YD) to support the planning and implementation of youth development programs, behavior management and intervention, and social-emotional learning assessments for kindergarten through 6th-grade participants. Youth Development at Horton’s Kids prepares our young people to meet the challenges of adolescence and adulthood with integrity, compassion, and a commitment to growth. Horton’s Kids focuses on developing participants’ strengths in five key areas: cognitive skills, emotional skills, social skills, mindset, and character. Horton’s Kids promotes skill development through participation in activities, experiences, and programs.
This position will report directly to the Director of Youth Development and coordinate closely with other programmatic staff including the Senior Youth Development Coordinator, Elementary Academics Senior Manager, Director of Health and Wellness, and organization volunteers. The ideal candidate is flexible and collaborative, with excellent relationship-building and behavior management skills. This year-round position is for 20 hours a week, 2 pm-6 pm Monday through Thursday required.
All candidates must be vaccinated and will be asked to submit proof of vaccine.
Core responsibilities of this position include:
A. Program Implementation
· Lead weekly discussion groups centered on SEL skills
· Oversee and implement SEL curriculum at academic programs
· Coordinate and attend seasonal enrichment programming
· Plan field trips, parties, and events for kids throughout the school year
· Create and foster strong relationships with community partners
B. Behavior Management and Intervention
· Implement Horton’s Kids’ behavior management system of incentives, consequences, and behavior coaching across elementary programs
· Execute individual behavior improvement plans
· Coach 1-3 middle school students one-on-one monthly on SEL skills like goal setting and self-awareness
C. Data and Evaluation
· Implement and track SEL assessments in a timely manner
· Input SEL data into Excel and Salesforce
· 2+ years’ experience working in an Out of School Time setting, including facilitating small groups of elementary-aged youth
· Strong behavior management skills and understanding of YD theory and practices, like CASEL
· Experience working with children and families who comes from systemically marginalized communities
· Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice for youth and families
· Experience with Excel and Salesforce a plus
· A driver’s license and comfort with driving youth participants in either 8 or 15 passenger van
· Flexible availability; can work evenings and weekend days as needed
Essential Experience and Competencies
· Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university
· At least 2 years of professional experience, volunteer management is preferred
· Experience with using and maintaining a CRM database (previous experience with Salesforce preferred)
· Customer service experience working with diverse constituencies.
· Outstanding writing and editing skills
· Experience with public speaking
· Strong interpersonal communication skills
· High attention to detail
· Ability to manage multiple work streams simultaneously
· Capacity to take initiative and lead projects from beginning to end
· Ability to work across several teams in a fast-paced environment
· Passion for social justice and children
· Sensitivity and respect for the issues facing urban children and families
· Commitment to advancing Diversity Equity and Inclusion priorities
Salary: Hourly rate of $23-$26 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Any offers made to candidates will be contingent upon undergoing standard screening requirements including an FBI background check, Child Protection Register check, and TB test. Must be 18 or older to apply. Horton’s Kids, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Horton’s Kids is a community-based organization working to drive positive change in the lives of 500 children in grades K – 12 living in two of the most under-resourced communities in southeast Washington, DC - Wellington Park and Stanton…
Please include your cover letter and resume.
Please include your cover letter and resume.