Mount Sinai’s Institute for Advanced Medicine (IAM) is seeking a full time community outreach worker to support the activities of the Coming Home program, a model program that provides wrap around services and care for individuals who have had a history of incarceration. This position is based at the Morningside Clinic at St. Luke’s Hospital. The Community Outreach Worker will report directly to the Coming Home Program Coordinator and will work closely with the Coming Home Social Worker.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Educates community partners and potential patients on the services available at Morningside Clinic
· Assists in linking patients to services at IAM’s Morningside Clinic
· Closes the referral loop with referring providers
· Makes outreach calls to patients to facilitate retention in care
· Identifies any problems with the community referral process and brings them to the attention of supervisor
· Provides patient navigation and helps patients get to/from appointments.
· Documents and reports activities in accordance with health system and program requirements
· Performs other related duties as required
· Work with patients to determine their needs and coordinate with internal staff to ensure patients receive necessary services.
· HS Diploma/GED
· Some college preferred
· Prior work experience in community health education or in social service setting
· Familiarity and experience with the criminal justice system
· Knowledge of community re-entry services in NYC
· Demonstrated ability to work with a very diverse population including faith and LGBTQ communities, and be sensitive to cultural differences
· Responsible independent worker with exceptional attention to detail and strong follow-through
· Strong communication/engagement skills and ability to address large groups
· Organized, reliable and independent worker
· Shows attention to detail in written work
· Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, data entry in Excel)
· Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
*This is a grant-funded position
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter and resume to Susan.email@example.com