Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and -literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are currently seeking an experienced front-end engineer to join a team of developers, QA engineers, product managers, and UX designers who work closely with UI designers led by a creative director. This role will help build and maintain all things client-facing and will help translate our organization and customer needs into functionally seamless, and appealing, interactive applications. Creating a great user experience is the focal point of this role, and the ideal candidate is curious about new digital technologies and stays abreast of coding best practices. This role will collaborate with a top-notch team of developers on a feature-rich, responsive site and help build personalized and social site experiences to help connect members with each other and the rest of the world.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
You'll be issued a Mac laptop for local development, use GitHub for version control, and work in a LAMP stack on our dev/staging/prod servers hosted at Acquia. We code to Drupal standards and strive toward industry best practices. Our engineers take pride and ownership in our projects, working closely with product and the other stakeholders to build something that is rock-solid and easily maintained. You'll have the opportunity to help shape the product you're working on and have your voice heard.
You will be working on a multitude of high-traffic websites that garner millions of users/month, including:
- Common Sense Education (www.commonsense.org/educators): Designed to help pre-K–12 educators discover, use, and share the best apps, games, websites, and digital curricula for their students. Also contains curriculum, professional development, and teaching resources for educators and school administrators.
- Common Sense's privacy evaluation platform (privacy.commonsense.org): Initiatives to help bridge the digital divide, increasing digital literacy through student-facing games and raising awareness of fake news and other relevant issues. Hundreds of thousands of educators and millions of students use our platforms each year, and this is an opportunity to affect many people.
- Common Sense Media (www.commonsensemedia.org): The platform that hosts reviews, advice, and more for parents.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated proficiency writing standards-compliant HTML5 and CSS3
- Understanding of current front-end and mobile development best practices, including responsive design, touch interfaces, performance optimization, and progressive enhancement
- Experience working with source-control with Git
- Experience working in a LAMP stack with PHP skills
THE X FACTOR:
- Experience developing in Drupal 7 with custom modules and themes for Drupal
- Experience with TDD (test-driven development)
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience using CSS preprocessors such as LESS, SASS, and/or Compass
- Experience with mobile-first responsive design
- You are energetic, enthusiastic, disciplined, hardworking, and a total team player.
- You are organized and able to work on multiple projects with overlapping deadlines.
- You are deeply inspired by the Common Sense mission.
- You have a great sense of humor — even when meeting tough deadlines.
- You have the mindset of a senior engineer; you are able to work autonomously and are not afraid to share your opinion when discussing technical approaches.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with a great team of talented, passionate developers and product people who have worked together for a long time and love what they're doing
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required