For more than 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year Legal Aid Chicago’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
This Public Benefits paralegal will enroll individuals and families who live in Englewood/West Englewood and Austin into public benefit “safety net” programs, including TANF, All Kids and Family Care Health Insurance, Medicaid, and SNAP. Under attorney supervision, the paralegal will also advocate for eligible clients concerning benefits from the Illinois Department of Human Services, Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, Illinois Department on Aging and Social Security Administration. The paralegal will provide in-person enrollment and screening services at least once per week at I Grow Chicago located in West Englewood.
The paralegal will:
· Screen individuals and families for assistance in applying for appropriate public benefit programs and other legal issues involving public benefits
· Interview clients to obtain necessary information, and assist with the preparation and submission of applications and other forms including appeals and redeterminations.
· Provide advice on existing applications and redeterminations, engage in informal advocacy with the local IDHS Family Community Resource Centers on behalf of clients, and provide follow-up services and referrals as needed
· Represent clients in administrative proceedings with state and federal agencies concerning public benefits
· Assist attorneys to pursue appeals of administrative decisions and affirmative and defensive litigation in state and federal courts
· A college degree
· Computer proficiency, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
· The ability to work well under pressure, and to learn and retain new information
· Personal or professional experience with public benefit programs a plus
· Connection to Englewood/West Englewood or Austin neighborhood is a plus.
For more than 50 years, Legal Aid Chicago has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year Legal Aid Chicago’s full-time…
Send a cover letter, resume, college transcript (student-issued ok) and a list of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Public Benefits Temporary Paralegal” in the email subject line. Applications received by January 21, 2020 will be given preference. The position will remain open until filled.
Legal Aid Chicago is firmly committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age religion, marital or parental status, alienage, disability, political affiliation or belief, military or military discharge status, or ex-offender status. Applicants who have experiences with our client communities are encouraged to apply.
Send a cover letter, resume, college transcript (student-issued ok) and a list of two references to email@example.com. Please type “Public…