Director of Business Development
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
241 41st Street
We are proud to offer an exciting opportunity to join an organization that works at the intersection of economic development, workforce development, direct service, and advocacy in three of the most dynamic neighborhoods in New York City.
The Southwest Brooklyn Industrial Development Corporation (SBIDC) was founded in 1978 as a business membership organization to advocate for, and provide technical assistance to, small businesses in the working waterfront neighborhoods of Sunset Park, Red Hook and Gowanus.
In partnership with New York City agencies, SBIDC manages the Southwest Brooklyn Industrial Business Zone (IBZ), where we provide manufacturing and industrial businesses with essential services. To help residents secure and maintain good jobs, SBIDC manages a Workforce 1 Industrial & Transportation Center at The Brooklyn Army Terminal and provides a range of workforce services.
Our communities are experiencing significant economic and demographic change. Through our advocacy and policy initiatives, SBIDC is well positioned to help constituents manage complex issues and thrive in our neighborhoods.
To help us deliver on our mission, SBIDC seeks a highly motivated and dedicated individual to manage our Business Services Team, implement the IBZ provider contract with the City of New York, and to develop our business programs.
- Manage four business services programs, including Southwest Brooklyn IBZ
- Develop and manage relationships with priority business stakeholders, including providing technical assistance
- Fundraise for and coordinate SBIDC business events
- Advance relationships with government stakeholders and financial institutions to help businesses access financing
- Represent SBIDC at meetings, conferences and community events
- Improve the SBIDC membership program
- Advance the organization’s small business training program, Plan for Growth
- Expand real estate services
SBIDC Communications & Development
- Create and implement marketing strategies for SBIDC services and events through newsletter, website, and other platforms
- Help secure business sponsorships for SBIDC fundraising events
Skills and Qualifications
- Above all, a motivation, commitment to, and passion for helping small businesses and the greater Southwest Brooklyn community
- Strong interest in urban economic development
- 3-5 years program management experience
- Strong marketing and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, networking, and writing skills, including experience with public presentations
- Project and Team management experience
- Proof of analytical and critical thinking
- Data management and analysis (intimate knowledge of CRM systems a plus)
- Knowledge of basic financing, accounting, business mechanics preferred
- Familiarity with New York City industrial and economic policy, as well as Southwest Brooklyn communities, is a plus
- The ability to contribute to an energized and cohesive team
Three-to-five years of professional experience in economic development, business, government, urban planning or a related field is preferred. MBA or Master’s Degree in a related field is a plus, as is proficiency in Spanish and/or Mandarin. SBIDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SBIDC offers health coverage and retirement benefits.
Minimum Education Required