Middle/High School and College Bound Education Specialist
- Job posted by New Alternatives for Children of New York City
37 West 26th Street, 7th floor
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an innovative and comprehensive child welfare and social services agency that provides essential support to families with at least one family member who has a disability and/or chronic medical condition. Children and their families enter into NAC’s services through the city’s foster care system, preventive services, or by way of community referral. All of our clients have access to a wide array of services including intensive, multi-faceted support for children’s educational needs.
NAC is looking for a creative problem solver to join a fun, hardworking team as an a Middle/High School and College Bound Education Specialist who will assist students and families from all NAC programs including foster care, prevention, and aftercare to access appropriate and meaningful educational services. In addition, the specialist will assist in the development and delivery of opportunities related to the College Bound and youth development programs at NAC.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with schools and agency officials and monitor compliance with Federal, State, and City regulations.
- Support “College Bound” program to identify and support middle and high school students through college prep and college applications.
- Serve as resource for NAC social workers to provide technical assistance and advocacy to help families make appropriate educational decisions and plans for their middle and high school- and college-aged children.
- Problem solve with students, families, and schools in the areas of attendance, discipline, motivation, academic interests, and progress towards graduation.
- Meet individually with students to engage them in long term educational and vocational plans.
- Participate in NAC case conferences, school visits, and CSE reviews as necessary.
- Assist with and/or facilitate College Bound/youth development programs and workshops.
- Collaborate on grant reporting and application opportunities.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Education, Special Education, Social Work, or a related field with 2-3 years experience.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and City regulations regarding provision of special education and general education services.
- Comfortable with middle and high school level academics, Regents exams, and college admission requirements.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Willingness to travel throughout NYC, as needed
- Proficiency in Spanish is desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Please indicate "Education Specialist" in the subject line when applying. Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Mary Ann Code
Human Resources Department
New Alternatives for Children
37 West 26th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10010
For more information on New Alternatives for Children, Inc., visit our website at www.nackidscan.org
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion.