Details: This position pasy $14.50 per hour
71 Cherry Street
The Margaret Fuller Neighborhood House Inc., is looking for a Community & Youth Advocate to be responsible for assisting clients ages 16-25 with coping, social and self-care skills in their homes and communities. Responsible for connecting with youth and young adults in need of support as it pertains to the following:
1. Workforce employment assistance
2. Educational support and navigation
3. Healthcare support and navigation
4. Court support and advocacy (navigating the criminal justice system)
5. Housing support and navigation
6. Drug and Alcohol support and navigation
The Community & Youth Advocate position was established for the purpose/s of providing support to youth and young adults and for providing information on programs/services available to them.
· Assists the community advancement team, youth and young adults with identifying support services for the purpose of providing and/or conveying information about available services.
· Support a variety of community activities (e.g. Port Community Pride Day, End of Summer/School year celebration, speaker series, etc.) for the purpose of providing support to the community, and celebrating the diversity of the community.
· Assist with providing street and neighborhood-based outreach in partnership with members of the Community Advancement team (i.e. frequenting the local hotspots, parks, street corners, schools, community centers, etc.).
· Participates in a variety of community meetings, workshops and committees for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions and remaining knowledgeable with Community Advancement guidelines.
· Performs record keeping and clerical functions for the purpose of documenting client and community outreach activities.
· Refers clients to outside agencies (e.g. state agencies, medical professionals, counselors, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the needs of client are met.
· Work in partnership with other members of the community advancement team while they are in the field
· Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work of the Community Advancement team
- Excellent time management skills and ability to maintain schedule
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Flexible schedule to meet needs of clients
· Be willing to drive company and personal vehicle when needed
· Ability to work in diverse settings including homes, schools, hospitals and group homes
· Experience working with a diverse group of youth and young adults ages 16 to 25
· Ability to complete all required written documentation in a timely manner
· Maintain and follow the policies and procedures of agency and program
· Receive and respond to supervision
· Punctuality and consistent attendance required
· Flexibility to work hours as program needs change: Must be able to work nights and Saturdays
1. Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays 3:30 pm 10:00 pm (June to October)
2. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm (October to June)
· MUST have a valid driver’s license
· Function as part of a team and complete all documentation in a timely manner
· Minimum of an Associate’s Degree or relevant experience preferred
· Strong understanding of street involved youth and young adults in the city of Cambridge preferred
· Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing environment.
· Ability to provide own transportation and a valid driver’s licenses
· Demonstrated proficiency in MS Word, Excel, outlook and Internet.
· Significant experience working with youth and young adults
· Strong leadership, organizing & facilitation skills
· Strong comfort level in approaching teens and young adults in various different situations.
· Ability to laugh at oneself a must
Additional Information: This is a part-time non-benefited position
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in english, fluent in Hatian Creole or spanish will be helpful.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter with your resume.