Asst General Counsel & Director of Human Resources
- Job posted by The Women's Housing and Economic Development Corporation
50 east 168th Street
Title: Assistant General Counsel & Director of Human Resources
Location: 50 East 168th Street, Bronx NY 10452
Reports to: Senior Vice President and General Counsel
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, gender (including gender non-conforming characteristics), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
The Assistant General Counsel & Director of Human Resources leads and supervises the human resources function for the organization’s staff, as well as assists the SVP and General Counsel with general nonprofit corporate law, litigation, risk management and employment matters.
Primary Responsibilities Human Resources:
- Supervision and direction of two Human Resources team members.
- Responsible for employee relations matters for organization’s 350 plus staff, including investigations, internal mediations, dispute resolution, grievance process (for union staff) and ongoing follow up.
- Advise senior management on a wide range of HR issues, including effective supervision, performance management, compensation, staff development, succession planning, staffing and policy.
- Oversight of employee benefits administration, including health insurance, retirement plan, workers’ compensation, disability and leaves of absence.
- Manage relationships with benefits brokers and benefits vendors.
- Oversight of recruitment, orientation, onboarding and life-cycle events such as performance reviews, discipline, and terminations.
- Ensure compliance with human resources policies and procedures; refine, update and develop policies that align with organizational values and legal requirements.
- Develop and implement cross-organization programs for ongoing staff development and training.
- Responsible for effective organization-wide staff/internal communications.
- Oversight of human resources administrative functions including record keeping and retention, accuracy of HRIS data, and the ongoing maintenance of human resources forms and databases.
- Oversee the efficient, accurate and timely processing of payroll; manage relationship with HRIS/payroll system vendor.
- Support annual program and organizational audits related to HR; facilitate annual retirement plan audit.
- Keep current on developments in the law and HR best practices; maintain network of HR professionals in peer organizations.
- Plan and carry out 2 annual staff events per year.
Primary Responsibilities Assistant General Counsel:
- Assist the General Counsel in advising executive team members on nonprofit corporate, tax, and employment law matters.
- Review funder contracts, vendor contracts and other legal documents; advise senior management on drafting and compliance issues.
- Advise on risk management, liability and oversee insurance matters.
- Manage litigation matters; serve as key point of contact for outside counsel.
- Assist with legal and HR matters relating to the organization’s owned housing properties.
- Stay abreast of legislative developments impacting nonprofit organizations.
- J.D. is required.
- Four or more years of experience practicing law with a strong focus on employment law; employee benefits, nonprofit law, corporate law are also helpful.
- Experience in human resources and/or advising human resources.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated interest in nonprofit/public interest law.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Track record of demonstrating professional judgment and discretion.
- Strong customer service focus with an ability to be “of service” to all levels of the organization, from front-line staff to the executive team.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships while maintaining professional boundaries.
- Exceptional initiative and proven ability to work efficiently and effectively both independently as well as collaboratively.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and shift gears easily, effectively prioritize and meet deadlines while paying attention to detail.
- Must have a high level of emotional intelligence, be able to think outside the box and have a sense of humor.
- Commitment to and appreciation for WHEDco’s mission and values are essential.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience. WHEDco is proud to offer affordable comprehensive health insurance, generous paid time off and up to six weeks' parental leave at full pay for eligible staff.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required