111 Sutter Street
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC seeks a Program Assistant to join our Healthy People & Thriving Communities Program in San Francisco – Health and Food Division. The individual in this position will provide administrative, logistical, and research support to assist the program’s advocacy efforts. This is a full-time position.
- Budgeting and accounting support including: processing invoices and monthly expenses, tracking budgets, and maintaining financial records;
- Providing general administrative support to policy and scientific staff including but not limited to: scheduling and organizing meetings and conference calls; making travel arrangements including transportation and hotel accommodations; and assisting with event planning for conferences or program meetings;
- Proofreading, formatting, and helping to prepare letters, reports, materials for funders, and other project materials;
- Researching questions related to food systems and food waste, toxic chemicals found in consumer products, and other environmental health issues;
- Responding to and directing inquiries from the general public and outside organizations;
- Assisting the receptionist and other program assistants as needed; and
- Assist in hiring and onboarding of program intern and staff
- Performing other projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience in an administrative position;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work well in a team setting, manage multiple priorities and projects, and navigate a fast-paced, dynamic work environment;
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize and carry out multiple tasks, follow institutional procedures, and perform undirected work quickly and with meticulous attention to detail with minimal supervision;
- Superior proofreading skills and commitment to accuracy;
- Strong facility with Microsoft Office especially Outlook, Word, and Excel, and online research tools, as well as the ability to negotiate other software and technology that the institution might use to conduct business;
- Experience with budgeting, accounting and financial systems a plus;
- Proficiency in social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Interest in public health, social justice, and environmental issues.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required