Summer Search is a national youth development organization dedicated to creating greater equity by increasing the number of students from low-income backgrounds who successfully enter and complete college. Our mission is to provide high school and college students with developmental opportunities and resources to strengthen their college-going identities and readiness to become first-generation college graduates and socially responsible leaders.
Since 1990, we have partnered with high schools, community-based organizations, and families to provide mentoring (by full-time staff), transformative summer experiences, and start-to-finish college advising and support. To date, we’ve served more than 6,200 high school students, college students, and alumni.
Our long-term investment (7-9 years) successfully supports our students in changing the nation’s college completion narrative. 96% are students of color; 92% are first in their families to attend college; 71% earn a bachelor’s degree within six years of graduating high school, compared to just 21% of their low-income peers nationally.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Executive Assistant provides high-quality administrative support to the CEO and Chief Operating Officer (COO) of a fast-paced nonprofit organization. This is an exciting opportunity for a dependable administrative professional to operate as a “right hand person” to our executive team and join an organization that is committed to growth, learning, and, above all, the students that we serve. Specifically, the Executive Assistant will:
Serve as a resourceful, attentive, and personable assistant to the CEO and COO
- Manage the CEO and COO’s calendars, schedule meetings and calls, coordinate logistics with other stakeholders, and arrange travel; “manage up” as needed with reminders and logistical details.
- Represent Summer Search, and the CEO and COO in interactions with internal and external stakeholders every day. Ensure that stakeholders have a positive and professional experience in all interactions.
- Serve as a gatekeeper for the CEO and COO, taking and prioritizing phone and email messages, requests for meeting time, and ensuring follow-up on action items.
- Reconcile own expense report, CEO, and COO’s credit card on a monthly basis.
- Liaise with the fund development team to schedule CEO’s donor meetings.
- By request, attend Senior Management Team (SMT) and Leadership Team meetings to take notes and create post-meeting action items.
Support the management of the National Board of Directors
- Schedule and manage board meeting calendar; ensures that logistics are set for quarterly board meetings e.g. meeting space, technology, printed materials, food and beverage.
- Manage process for National Board Packet creation and circulation, and ensure timely response to board member questions after board meetings.
- Take minutes during board meetings and distribute meetings notes/action items after each meeting.
- Prepare orientation materials for new board members.
- Maintain up-to-date board member information on SharePoint and Raiser’s Edge database, and board-related policies on SharePoint.
- Support other communications as requested by CEO and National Board Chair, and assist with facilitation of communication between local boards.
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our intense investment includes:
- Competitive salaries
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, 10 company-wide holidays and a 1-week December closure.
- Individual, local, regional and national training
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team.
We hope you will join us as we continue to build a diverse organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
Level of Language Proficiency
WHO YOU ARE
The Executive Assistant position calls for a dependable and self-led administrative professional. Specifically, well qualified candidates will bring:
- MISSION AND VALUES ALIGNMENT: A commitment to Summer Search’s mission and an ability to thrive in an authentic, collaborative, feedback-driven environment.
- WORK EXPERIENCE: 2+ years administrative experience supporting a CEO or senior executive in a fast-paced setting; nonprofit experience is a plus.
- PEOPLE SAVVY: Comfort and ability to communicate and interact with a range of stakeholders, such as staff, board members, donors, and external vendors, with a warm personality that helps others feel at ease
- COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS: Strong oral and written communications skills, including ability to speak clearly, prepare correspondence, and synthesize meeting notes.
- ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS: Outstanding time management skills and attention to detail, with a proven ability to plan ahead, prioritize tasks, and juggle multiple demands effectively.
- FLEXIBILITY AND ADAPTABILITY: Skill in managing changing priorities and ad hoc requests, with a personal style that remains unflappable when responding to unexpected needs.
- PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS: Ability to quickly understand a situation, use sound judgement, and choose an appropriate course of action.
- TECHNOLOGY SKILLS: Strong command of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint, and familiarity with database operations. SharePoint and Raiser’s Edge experience is a plus.
- Ability to work outside of standard 9am-5pm including some early mornings and evenings
- BA or equivalent experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to view the job on our careers page. Select "Apply for this Position" below to submit a resume and targeted cover letter that answers the question, “Why are you interested in the Executive Assistant opportunity at Summer Search?” Please address cover letter to Marc Spencer, Chief Executive Officer.
SUMMER SEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.