475 Riverside Drive
POSITION: Cook/Nutritional Health Specialist
REPORTS TO: Site Director
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time
EXEMPT/NONEXEMPT: Non Exempt
The Cook/Nutritional Health Specialist plans, develops, implements, and coordinates all aspects of a nutritious food program for the residents.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Acts so as to represent Lutheran Social Service of New York’s mission, values, ethics, and upholds agency Code of Conduct at all times.
· Oversees the kitchen and coordinates kitchen help, which may include stipend employees from amongst the building residents at times.
· Performs regular inventory and directs the ordering of food and other household items and supplies as needed for the kitchen, as well as collaborates with outside vendors for discounted food items and services in development of a cost effective nutritional health program.
· Creates food menus containing nutritional information and posts them in the kitchen and on facility bulletin boards.
· Prepares two meals daily for clients, including serving meals and collecting/tracking food payment from residents.
· Coordinates special meals for holidays, birthdays, and other program events and celebrations and may on occasion prepare food at an external event for the residents or to help with other duties of work within the organization.
· Maintains kitchen cleanliness to a safe and hygienic standard.
· Promotes clients’ capacity to make healthy food choices by demonstrating preparation of healthy meals and those that do not require cooking, providing nutrition education, and assisting with the planning of meals as related to client health care needs.
· Volunteers as needed
· Minimum High-School Diploma
· Certificate in Food Protection required
· Certificates in food science or nutrition preferred
· Experience in the field of cooking and food service.
· Must be culturally competent and comfortable working with different populations (HIV, substance abuse, mental illness, and other populations).
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Demonstrates good interpersonal skills.
· Must be enthusiastic, client-centered, and creative and have a thorough knowledge of cooking, food service, USDA nutritive food values and food protection issues.
· Displays Time Management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments at once, and flexibility, including working some holidays and weekends.
· Exhibits proficient knowledge of Internet Navigation, E-mail, and Microsoft Word.
Minimum Education Required