Details: Commensurate with experience
Ashburn and Aldie
About Willowsford Conservancy
Willowsford Conservancy is an integral part of the developing Willowsford community, located in Aldie and Ashburn, Virginia. A non-profit established in 2011, the Conservancy is the steward of 2,000 acres of open space including woodlands, meadows, wetlands, agricultural land, and over 30 miles of multi-surface trails in Willowsford’s four villages. Our mission is to “… protect, maintain, and promote the viable, long-term use of the land, integrating farming, recreation, conservation and education to enhance the quality of life for the residents of Willowsford and the greater community.”
A part of Willowsford Conservancy, Willowsford Farm grows and sells sustainably-grown produce, eggs, pastured meats and value-added products directly to residents of Willowsford and surrounding communities though our Farm Stand and Community Supported Agriculture program (CSA).
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Business Operations Manager manages the day to day accounting and office functions for Willowsford Conservancy and the Farm. This position will work alongside the Willowsford development team until the Conservancy is an independent organization.
- Work with the Executive Director and Board on development and implementation of accounting and finance related systems, policies and procedures.
- Manage farm, retail and program-related financial transactions including activity from online merchant services and all banking activity.
- Manage cash flow, accounts payable, accounts receivable. Record journal entries. Reconcile accounts.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for the Executive Director and Board of Trustees.
- Participate in budgeting, financial analysis and forecasting. Track goals versus actual and assist with managing operations to achieve business objectives.
- Manage purchasing for the Conservancy and Farm.
- Coordinate completion and filing of annual non-profit tax returns (Form 990). Ensure fiscal compliance.
- Work with the Controller to reconcile funding and record intercompany transactions during the transition.
- Assist with administering Paychex HR, payroll and benefits programs and maintain related records.
- Assist with managing health and safety program; maintain policies, procedures and records.
Administration and Office Management
- Oversee daily office operations. Establish and implement procedures and controls to optimize operations, reduce cost, and help assure responsible use of resources.
- Ensure the Conservancy’s technology needs are met by coordinating procurement and technical support.
- Coordinate risk management activities and compliance. Manage insurance policies and claims.
- Manage Conservancy calendars, mailing lists and employee communications.
- Receive phone calls and e-mails at Conservancy accounts; distribute messages; solicit feedback; respond to messages.
- Receive online purchase, rental and program registrations; manage payments and communications; resolve issues; add to Conservancy calendar; provide reports.
- Manage Conservancy website contact database; communicate with HOA and website vendor on updates and troubleshooting; assist with resident logins and questions. Troubleshoot related issues.
- Manage Conservancy records, paper and electronic.
- Maintain office facilities, equipment and supplies. Manage mail.
- Manage relationships with consultants, contractors and vendors.
- Assist with administrative work. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a BA in accounting, business administration or related field.
- At least 5 years of financial management and business operations experience with at least 3 years of accounting experience with an established organization or business unit. Some HR experience preferred.
- Non-profit experience strongly preferred; Farm accounting experience is a plus.
- Experience with budget development and audit.
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management and a Board of Trustees.
- Proficiency in business software, including QuickBooks, Paychex and MS Office.
- Ability to employ technologies and software solutions to improve accounting and operations effectiveness. Experience managing IT vendors and tech support.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Keen analytical, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborative, self-motivated with a strong work ethic and keen attention to detail
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and good judgment, continually looking to apply best practices and improve operations.
Excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, paid vacation, personal and holidays, and a 401 (k) retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required