Brooklyn-based music education organization YoungVoices/BigSounds seeks charismatic, passionate music educators to join our 2018-19 team.
YVBS runs in-school and after-school music programs at NYC Elementary, Middle, and High Schools. Our approach is hands-on, experiential, and performance-oriented. We teach music fundamentals through vocal, percussion, and piano instruction, and then bring these elements together through ensemble performance.
- show an undeniable LOVE for working with young people
- are strong and confident musicians, capable of teaching, directing, and (ideally) accompanying vocal & percussion ensembles
- have teaching experience in a classroom environment, and demonstrate classroom management skills
- are well versed in American and Caribbean popular music, old and new
- have weekday availability, ideally with scheduling flexibility
We're hiring Lead Teachers, Assistant Teachers, and Interns. Experience is important for Lead Teacher placement, but we're also excited to train and develop candidates with less experience but plenty of charisma, talent, and ambition.
College level education is ideal but not required.
- $10/hr - $45/hr (based on experience; opportunity for development and growth)
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in a non-English language (especially Spanish) is a plus, but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter (with subject "Teaching Artist 2018") to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover Letter Guidelines:
- Be creative! Show us who you are as a musician and an educator; highlight your experience, your style, and include any links (photos, videos, audio recordings, lesson plans, etc.) that paint a picture of the type of teaching artist you are and can be.