Empatico, an initiative of The KIND Foundation, is a free tool for educators to connect their classrooms with others around the world. Our mission is to give millions of educators and students the opportunity to tell their stories, explore their similarities and differences, and practice empathy through meaningful, virtual connections. Empatico was created to produce a more empathetic future generation with a greater understanding of the world and the people within it. Named a Fast Company 2018 World Changing Idea, we recently completed our first year of operation and have already reached more than 4,600 classrooms in 100+ countries.
About The KIND Foundation
The KIND Foundation is a philanthropic entity established by KIND Healthy Snacks. Our mission, to foster kinder and more empathetic communities, is brought to life through a variety of programming meant to celebrate and inspire positive action. In 2017, the Foundation announced its signature endeavor Empatico, a $20 million multi-year initiative. To learn more, visit: kindsnacks.com/foundation.
As the Research Associate at Empatico, your job is to evaluate Empatico’s progress and ensure we’re on track towards achieving our mission of fostering meaningful connections among children around the world.
Our small team includes mission-driven members who hold a common spirit of collaboration, dedication to analytical rigor, and a sense of urgency about social change. As we work in a fast-paced startup environment, we are looking for a values-driven Associate with an entrepreneurial and creative spirit who can respond with flexibility to shifting needs while maintaining a positive approach and sense of humor. Due to our young startup nature, you’ll often get to independently manage your own projects and see your ideas come to life.
We love generalists who can quickly bring themselves up to speed on a variety of topics and functions. We hire individuals from a multitude of backgrounds, including education, psychology, technology, non-profits, or business, who have strong research and analytical skills. Although this is an Associate-level position, there is potential for this role to evolve into a more senior position.
- Conduct evaluation studies (both informal and formal), including: forming the research questions, recruiting and corresponding with participants, collecting data, analyzing results, and reporting findings
- Co-design a scalable, efficient, and cost-effective monitoring and evaluation system for Empatico, including conducting literature reviews on best practices and piloting the system
- Assist with the continuous development of Empatico’s theory of change and research methodology
- Co-manage relationships with external research consultants
- Collect and synthesize data from multiple sources (evaluation studies, platform usage data, etc.) to provide actionable insights for Empatico’s future development
- Ensure all research- and data-related activities at Empatico are aligned with best practices
- Reason through complex problems related to research and lead the process of identifying solutions
- Support the Content & Evaluation and Product teams in developing new educational content and platform features that align with Empatico’s theory of change
- Collaborate across departments to ensure that all teams are up-to-date on our evaluation findings, and to incorporate their input into future research-related projects
- Initiate, prioritize, and manage multiple projects at any given time
- Own administrative functions, such as scheduling meetings, writing memos, and drafting reports
The ideal candidate will have:
2-5 years of experience (undergraduate, graduate, or work experience) in:
- Conducting research studies (experience with survey research methodology a plus)
- Writing both technical and non-technical reports
- Statistical and data analysis programs (advanced MS Excel, SPSS, R, Python, or SAS, etc.)
- Project management
- Data management, including cleaning and merging data
As well as:
- Outstanding analytical skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills
- Data-driven mentality and strong enthusiasm for research
- Ability to communicate complex findings to a non-technical audience
- High degree of emotional intelligence, verbal communication, and writing skills
- Language skills a plus (especially Spanish or French)
- Experience in child development, psychology, or education research a plus
In addition, all Empatico team members will have:
- Empathy for, understanding of, and respect for the teaching profession
- Deep commitment to the values of Empatico and a passion for connecting students across the world
- Flexible and adaptive working style with the ability to thrive in a growing, entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment
- Demonstrated self-starter with the ability to learn quickly, identify problems/opportunities, and be resourceful in taking action
- Highly collaborative approach to achieving success and a willingness to approach team members with grace, empathy, and a sense of humor
Level of Language Proficiency
Language skills a plus (especially Spanish or French)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this position, please email email@example.com with your CV or resume and a cover letter explaining why you are qualified and personally interested in pursuing the Research Associate position at Empatico.
The KIND Foundation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The KIND Foundation complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The KIND Foundation expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Kind Foundation’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.