Assistant Director, Office of the Chief Science Officer
- Job posted by Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
1828 L Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Department: Office of the Chief Science Officer
Reports to: Chief Science Officer
Click here to view the full job description and apply.
The Assistant Director (AD) is a key member of the Office of the Chief Science Officer. In this role, the AD works closely with the Chief to provide leadership for a wide range of program management and administration oversight functions to the immediate office and department leads. Specifically, the AD manages daily operations including department policies and procedures, human resources and staff development, development and maintenance of standard operating procedures, ensuring follow-through on OCSO actions and commitments, and managing administrative staff. In collaboration with the Chief, the AD works to ensure consistency in operational effectiveness, efficiency, and alignment with department goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees administrative work in the OCSO.
- Tracks status of work and deadlines for Science Oversight Committee, Board of Governors, Selection Committee, in coordination with staff working closely with those committees.
- Tracks status of short-term research investments and other contract awards emanating from the OCSO, in conjunction with the Manager of Science Operations.
- Represents the CSO, as appropriate and warranted.
- Oversees staff hiring, in conjunction with hiring managers within the OCSO. Assists with onboarding/offboarding, recruiting, and performance management. Consults on staffing.
- Manages daily organization and operational activities for the OCSO, such as meetings and communications. Assures appropriate follow up of meeting action items and other commitments made by staff of the OCSO.
- Reviews, coordinates, and proposes new policies and procedures, as necessary, and works with the PCORI P&P working group.
- Provides guidance to staff on policies and procedures.
- Provides guidance on communications, including email correspondence, reports, memos and presentations.
- Oversees maintenance of the electronic filing system and SharePoint pages for which the OCSO is responsible.
- Communicates policies of the PCORI Scientific Publication Working Group, oversees tracking document for manuscripts emanating from Science staff; and serves as liaison between staff and CSO to fairly present opportunities to participate and enable accurate and timely reporting to the SPWG.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
Minimum Education Required