Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) is an organization working towards racial and economic justice and a world free from violence. We have a network of over 175 chapters in 48 states and DC and a number of place-based organizing projects in communities critical to transformative change in this country: poor and working-class communities, rural communities, and the U.S. South.
SURJ experienced exponential growth in 2020. We went from having an email list of about 125,000 to a list of 250,000. Our data management systems became much more complicated as our programs expanded and we outgrew our systems.
Project and deliverables:
SURJ’s is seeking a qualified candidate to transition its current data systems onto one, new platform and support the organization in setting up the necessary systems and training to ensure strong data management culture and practices.
SURJ is transitioning onto EveryAction to integrate our development and organizing data. This person will work directly with SURJ staff and EveryAction, as well as with the technical support persons at Humanitru, ActBlue, Action Network, and any other application that is surfaced as part of the SURJ ecosystem as we make our transition or connection into EveryAction. These responsibilities include:
- Meetings with core staff members to capture all of the program and internal mapping for day-to-day activities as they are currently done across our ecosystem and prioritization of the change management for key activities that will be the biggest lift for SURJ teams.
- Creating a project roadmap and clear timeframes for the technical transitions off of SURJ’s current databases including Humanitru, Action Network, ActBlue, and VAN, including dates and workflows for data download/transition and old tool shut-off.
- Consulting with the EveryAction Account Manager on all key activities and how they will be done within EveryAction
- Coordinating and seeking input from the core staff team involved in this project on an ongoing basis.
- Managing expectation and keeping all SURJ stakeholders (broader staff, chapters and board members) informed of key updates and expectations. This includes facilitating consultation of SURJ staff as needed.
- Ensuring data is transferred from current systems and serving as primary point of contact for SURJ with EveryAction, Humanitru, Action Network, ActBlue, and all other platforms.
- Creating a process and making a recommendation for how we compare and integrate/resolve records with differing information among the current SURJ ecosystem of databases (including Action Network, ActBlue and Humanitru).
- Setting up and presenting at regular status meetings (more frequent depending on the project plan timelines and dependencies) with the SURJ-side Database Transition Manager and transition team.
- Clearly communicating with the EveryAction technical team and following through on SURJ’s User Experience (UX) and technical requirements in the new system.
- Ensuring EveryAction functioning and system matches SURJ expectations and needs within the agreed timeframes.
- Clearly defining the role & desired outcomes for the EveryAction Account Manager during our onboarding process.
- Advising SURJ of possible concerns as they are surfaced, as well as make recommendations about the best solutions for change management.
- Develop a training plan for Board Members, Staff, and Volunteers
- Applications received until January 29th, 2020.
- Decisions made by Feb 15, 2021.
- Project start date: March 1, 2021.
- Project end date (anticipated): April 15, 2021.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience transitioning or working with databases of similar size to SURJ’s - about 300,000 records
- Experience working with a wide range of data management needs including: electoral organizing, community organizing, development and fundraising.
- Experience developing and implementing transition management plans, including communication and training plans.
- Experience managing change among teams and developing plans that minimize disruption to staff and other stakeholders.
- Clear and direct communicator
- Experience working remotely
- Experience managing donor or organizing databases, and an understanding of how data management contributes to building strong organizations.
- Experience with and commitment to SURJ's work
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience supporting people with less data experience to clarify goals and supporting them in developing systems to support and improve their work.
- Capacity to think about problem solving in creative ways - support others in problem solving.
- Organized but flexible - understand they work on a team and be able to drive their work forward while also responding to shifting priorities as needed
- Able to manage competing priorities, make decisions, communicate clearly about timelines
- Ability to work remotely and independently, including with people from different time zones
- Excellent communicator - requests, declines and clearly communicates changing timelines
- Class consciousness: able to communicate clearly and respectfully with members, board and staff from diverse class backgrounds, communities, geographies and cultures
Please send a cover letter that addresses your interest in the position and your qualification to meet the objectives outlined in this RFP, your resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 29, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis.