Part-Time Group Leader - Bound for Success After School Program
- Job posted by Coalition for the Homeless
Details: $16.00 per hour commensurate with experience and education
PART-TIME GROUP LEADER
Bound for Success/Youth Services Department
Coalition for the Homeless
The Coalition for the Homeless is the nation’s oldest advocacy and direct service organization helping homeless men, women and children. We believe that affordable housing, sufficient food and the chance to work for a living wage are fundamental rights in a civilized society. Since our inception in 1981, the Coalition has worked through litigation, public education and direct services to ensure that these goals are realized.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Group Leader of Bound for Success is responsible for the daily implementation of the after school/summer curriculum consistent with the policies of Coalition for the Homeless. He/She helps to plan and carry out lessons incorporating homework assistance, tutoring, educational building activities, as well as creative and recreational activities.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement a cohesive and comprehensive after-school/summer curriculum and program for homeless children in shelters;
- Help construct daily lesson plans for class, which reflects the Program’s focus for the week and creates a structured program for a group of school age children, 6 to 13 years old, with an emphasis on meeting the individual needs of each child.
- Implement procedures to ensure the safety of program participants and the daily reporting of participant attendance, accidents, and incidents;
- Maintains a good working relationship with parents and workers at the shelter. After notifying the Program Director, advises parents/guardians of any unusual behavior demonstrated by child or health problems observed.
- Accompany group to various scheduled activities, bearing the responsibility for the safety and security of each child.
- Collaborate with other staff members in planning special events, trips and other activities for the children.
- Obtain regular supervision with the Director of Bound for Success to review program operations, clinical issues/concerns, staffing, and supply management, among other matters;
- Participate in regular staff and other meetings, such as in-service training and staff development and orientation activities;
- Assist in the design and implementation of program and service enhancements;
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned by Director of Bound for Success or designee.
SCHEDULE: 15 – 17 hours per week
REPORTS TO: Director of Bound for Success, Youth Services
SALARY: $16.00 per hour
Level of Language Proficiency
A minimum of two years of college plus prior experience in working with school age children in educational and recreational settings. Must be a team player, flexible, outgoing, focused and enjoy working with children. Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidate is a plus.
- This is a regular part-time job with regular work hours 3:00 - 6:00 PM Mon-Fri. May be required to work additional hours on days with scheduled field trips, requires some flexibility with start and end times. Part-time hours increase during summer months for 7 weeks in July and August. Must be able to travel to work location in Canarsie, Brooklyn (11236 zip code)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter & current resume with salary requirements. Include the job title in subject line of E-mail Email: email@example.com (preferred)
or FAX (212) 233-2032 Attn: Group Leader
No telephone inquiries please.
Persons of color and formerly homeless individuals are encouraged to apply.