Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
American Oversight is a non-partisan, non-profit ethics watchdog that uses public records requests backed by aggressive litigation and communications to promote transparency and to hold public officials accountable.
Since our launch in 2017, our 1,000+ public records requests and 50+ lawsuits have exposed multiple cases of misconduct and mendacity in the Trump administration, including the failure of Trump’s “voter fraud” commission to uncover evidence of voter fraud, the full cost of former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt’s $43,000 secret phone booth, and the FCC’s false claims about a hacking attack on its Net Neutrality comment systems. We have represented high-profile clients including members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Brennan Center for Justice, and the secretary of state of Maine, and our investigations have been featured in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Politico, CNN, NBC and numerous other outlets.
American Oversight is hiring researchers to help us identify and develop investigative targets and analyze the records we uncover to hold the Trump administration accountable.
The positions are located in Washington, DC, and report to our investigations director.
As a researcher, your responsibilities will include:
- Investigation: You’ll use publicly available research databases, documents obtained through public records requests, and a broad range of news sources to identify corruption and other wrongdoing in the Trump administration and uncover avenues for future research.
- Public records requests: You’ll work with the legal team to draft public records requests aimed at uncovering corruption and malfeasance and promoting government transparency.
- Analysis: You’ll analyze records that American Oversight obtains through the Freedom of Information Act to identify underreported trends and stories.
- Writing: You’ll work with the investigations and communications teams to tell the stories we find with blog posts, background documents, and other written products.
- Rapid response: You’ll respond to breaking news by doing rapid-response research and drafting public records requests on tight deadlines.
This position is open to individuals with diverse backgrounds, including journalism, opposition research, and corporate or government investigations. The ideal candidate will have proven research and writing experience, familiarity with the workings of the federal government, and an avid interest in politics and policy.
We are seeking individuals with the following qualifications:
- One to three years’ previous experience in journalism, opposition research, or another investigative or research field
- A voracious appetite for political news and the drive to uncover hidden stories of corruption and wrongdoing
- Exceptional attention to detail, with the ability to find the key detail in a mountain of documents
- Strong writing skills and the ability to use documents to tell clear, compelling stories
- Comfort handling multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivation and an ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Outstanding communications skills
American Oversight is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, résumé, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com.