Digital Content Specialist
The United Federation of Teachers, a 185,000-member union of New York City public school educators and other professionals, seeks an energetic, self-motivated producer of digital content who is committed to public education and the labor movement to work as part of the union’s close-knit digital communications team. The UFT takes pride in keeping our diverse membership informed about their rights and benefits as well as the union’s events, workshops and campaigns. The Digital Content Specialist is a member of the team that puts together and sends out this information to members as well as to public school parents. The UFT is a staunch defender of public education. We work in a fast-paced, demanding environment where everyone pulls together to get the work done.
- create, copy-edit, format and send event notices, newsletters and information updates via email to targeted lists of UFT members;
- create online registration forms and member surveys;
- post and maintain content to the union’s website such as the events calendar;
- serve communications needs of UFT’s borough offices, departments and smaller chapters;
- other digital communications tasks as assigned by the department director.
- Superior writing skills;
- An eagerness to learn new digital skills and use them to promote the union’s mission;
- Ability to create clear and succinct email messages and newsletters, sometimes working from the drafts of staffers or elected reps who are not professional writers;
- Excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- Strong interpersonal skills, since the job involves managing the needs of employees across many departments;
- Strong organizational skills, with a keen attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to work effectively under deadlines and juggle several assignments simultaneously;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of the digital communications team;
- Knowledge of or interest in education policy and the labor movement;
- Working knowledge of HTML strongly preferred;
- Working knowledge of Excel, Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Wufoo or Survey Monkey, and website content management systems a plus but not required;
- Ability to proof written Spanish a plus but not required;
- Must be available twice a month on Fridays to format and send the union’s important weekly update to chapter leaders and stay late if necessary;
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications or liberal arts, plus at least one year of experience working with online content in a professional environment.
Salary: $43,000-$50,000, depending on experience. Excellent benefits. Equal opportunity employer.
Resume, a writing sample and cover letter may be sent to Deidre McFadyen, the UFT Member Communications Department director, at email@example.com No phone calls please.
Excellent benefits package
Level of Language Proficiency
Ability to proof written Spanish a plus but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Resume, a writing sample and cover letter may be sent to Deidre McFadyen, the UFT Member Communications Department director,