41 West Street
Samaritans, Inc. is the premier suicide prevention organization in the communities of Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex and Worcester counties, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to reduce the stigma associated with suicide. For over 40 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support free of charge for callers to its Helplines.
Samaritans’ volunteers and staff now provide a full range of suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention services through community education and outreach; phone and text based crisis service Helplines for those in distress; and grief support groups and personal visits which assist families impacted by a suicide loss in their grieving and healing process. This growing organization provides services that make our communities healthier and happier and provides a working environment that celebrates the positive and lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
The Director of Grief Support Services role is to provide leadership and support to volunteers providing support to suicide survivors. The Director of Grief Support Services represents Samaritans and establishes collaborative relationships with other organizations in support of survivors
· Supports all individuals involved in services to suicide survivors, insuring a productive and supportive environment for all members of agency and wider survivor community
· Establishes Samaritans as a thought leader in the suicide prevention and postvention field.
· Participates as a senior member of the agency’s program management team and influences the development of annual plans, including the establishment of program goals
· Oversees and participates in the key elements of volunteer work with survivors – SafePlace support group meetings, survivor to survivor network.
· Builds and maintains strategic partnerships/collaborations with agencies related to suicide prevention as it relates to survivors.
· Represents the agency in key collaborative relationships with other organizations – community, private and public and the media as approved by the Chief Program Officer and Executive Director
· Participates in board meetings and key agency events, representing the agency’s survivor services programs.
· Participates in program committee meetings as needed and key agency events
· Develops communication and public awareness campaigns to support Samaritans Grief Support Services
· Participates in Community Education and Outreach opportunities on Grief Support Services as requested
· Maintains and report appropriate statistics on Grief Support Services
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
· Some travel may be required for industry related conferences as well as visits to other agencies, board members and donors as necessary.
· Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential.
· Flexibility in working hours appropriate for responsibility for Grief Support Services is required.
· Successfully completes the befriending training.
· Must possess strong communication skills, including the ability to make effective and persuasive presentations to volunteers, staff, industry peers, board members, donors and others as required.
· Ability to interact effectively with others.
· Resolving conflicts and internal issues appropriately, providing difficult feedback to volunteers.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· BA or BS preferred
· Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in a social service agency
· Computer skills required
· Minimum 2 to 4 years related experience
· Ability to communicate and interact effectively with others at all levels within and outside the organization
· Strong analytical thinking skills required
· Must be comfortable and adept at interacting with others in person, over the phone or via email.
· Functions well as a member of a team
· Must possess strong organizational skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply
· Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and brief cover letter (saved as Lastname_coverletter) explaining your interest in the position to email@example.com with “Director, Grief Support Services” in the subject line.