FriendshipWorks' mission is to reduce social isolation, enhance quality of life and preserve the dignity of elders in Boston and Brookline. We accomplish this mission by recruiting and training volunteers of all ages, faiths, and backgrounds who provide friendship, advocacy, education, assistance, and emotional support. The La Cadena de Amistad Program Director at FriendshipWorks oversees bi-lingual Spanish and English programs based in Jamaica Plain/Mission Hill and providing bilingual services throughout the Boston.
The La Cadena de Amistad Program Director is responsible for coordination of the Friendly Visiting, Friendly Helping & MusicWorks Programs. Additional responsibilities include facilitation and management of both a JP Advisory Committee and the JP Eldercare meeting.
- Maintain information and statistics on volunteers and recipients
- Be spokesperson for FriendshipWorks in JP and surrounding area for both Spanish and English speaking communities
- Supervise and coordinate interns, office volunteers, and stipended volunteers
- Develop and support a neighborhood FriendshipWorks’ Advisory Board.
- Coordinate JP Eldercare meetings for local providers
- Develop affiliations with other elder service providers.
- Conduct community outreach in the elders living in JP and surrounding areas
- Identify and refer elders who would benefit from other FriendshipWorks Programs
- Occasional evenings and weekends required
- Other duties as assigned
Friendly Visiting Responsibilities:
- Recruit, interview and train and match volunteers with elders for Friendly Visiting and Friendly Helping Program
- Conduct home intakes with elders
- Conduct volunteer orientation and training for Spanish-speaking volunteers
- Provide supervision and support of volunteers and recipients
- Maintain strong communication with Main Office
- Translation of agency written and audio-visual materials
- Maintain and build collaborative relationship with Sherrill House
- Organize and facilitate bilingual interactive weekly music groups in elder buildings in Jamaica Plain and Roxbury.
- Document/create curriculum music group sessions that are twice a month in each building
- Recruit and book local artists and for MusicWorks group sessions.
- Develop relationships with community partners, local music schools and other relevant organizations and programs.
- Build strong relationships with building managers, Resident Service Coordinators and other building staff to maintain MusicWorks groups at facilities.
- Celebrate MusicWorks participant Birthdays at groups once per month in each building
- Complete training and facilitate groups utilizing Sing Fit or similar technique
- Work to maintain and enhance program to continue to build and expand program in additional elder buildings and communities with guidance of Director of Programs.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Experience in community outreach
- Experience and sensitivity in assessing the needs of elderly
- Excellent teaching, leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communications, public relations and interpersonal skills
- Good writing ability
- Understanding of interfaith and interracial work
- Ability to foster volunteer commitment and leadership
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
This is an exempt position.
FriendshipWorks is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national
origin, religion or creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Health insurance, vacation, sick time, personal days, and SIMPLE IRA with company matching.
Level of Language Proficiency
Applicants must be fully bilingual in Spanish and English. Applicants who are not bilingual will not be considered.
Minimum Education Required