New Jersey SEEDS is a privately funded, statewide, nonprofit organization dedicated to providing educational opportunities to academically talented, financially limited students. New Jersey SEEDS works with competitive, primarily independent, secondary schools to provide opportunities for highly motivated, academically qualified, and economically disadvantaged students.
Scholars Program (Scholars)
Accepting 125 high-achieving, low-income students each summer, the Scholars Program is New Jersey SEEDS’ oldest program and its largest. Students begin the 14-month program the summer before their eighth-grade year with a three-week residency, known as The Summer Challenge. When the Challenge concludes, 95 of the strongest students are invited to continue to the Scholars Academy. Scholars Academy begins with a three-day Leadership Retreat, an outdoor experience focused on developing self-confidence and teamwork skills. Students then spend each Saturday during their eighth-grade year sharpening their skills in mathematics and language arts, as well as building their test-taking skills to prepare for the SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) and preparing applications for independent schools. The Scholars Program concludes with a three-week residency known as The Capstone Experience, designed to facilitate the transition to a rigorous educational environment. Following completion of the program, NJ SEEDS places Scholars at independent day and boarding schools throughout the country.
We are currently seeking teachers in mathematics and English. Must have experience with middle school and/or high school students; Teaching certification is not required. Experience in SSAT prep a plus.
- Teach subject area according to curriculum guidelines specified by NJ SEEDS
- Maintain ongoing curriculum evaluation and development to meet needs of Scholars
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Expert level mastery of subject area
- Expert level written and oral skills
- Teaching experience in a rigorous academic environment, including work with highly capable students
- Demonstrated talent in the instruction of students with varied learning styles and levels of mastery
- Preference will be given to candidates who have leadership experience in arts, sports or personal development.
- Review, correct and comment upon written assignments, exams and projects
- Attend faculty meetings as scheduled
- Prepare detailed comments about each Scholar via mid-session and final progress reports to be used in the evaluation process
- Additional duties as assigned
§ $215 per Saturday; paid monthly
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Those interested in applying for a teaching position should email a cover letter and resume to the following:
New Jersey SEEDS
ATTN: Imani K. Gilliam
Dean of Programs