159 Pioneer Street
xPioneer Works is a fast growing multi-disciplinary cultural center in Red Hook, Brooklyn dedicated to experimentation and education. Through a broad range of programs, performances, residencies and exhibitions, Pioneer Works transcends boundaries and fosters a community dedicated to making culture accessible to everyone.
The Content Director will oversee content initiatives across multiple platforms to reach new audiences, deepen engagement, and create new revenue streams for Pioneer Works. This individual has expertise in strategy, dissemination, and channel optimization and, importantly, will lend a strong editorial voice to launch a digital platform while creating brand consistency for Pioneer Works across disciplines. In essence, the CD is the institutional “storyteller” who must be empathetic toward the residents, programmers, and audiences equally, establishing a voice/language that reflects Pioneer Works’ unique mission and culture.
The position will report to the COO and Artistic Director, lead the newly formed Media Lab, and collaborate with web development, communications, design, production, and program staff.
The job of the CD at Pioneer Works will be similar to that of a publisher that leads content strategy and initiatives of all forms to expand reach and create revenue streams. The responsibilities include:
- Ensure all content is on-brand––consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for user experience for all content channels. This includes online, social media, email, point of purchase, mobile, video, print and in-person.
- Map out a content strategy that supports captured content (ie the archive) as well as new initiatives for both the short- and long-term. Define audiences and determine dissemination strategies for multi-disciplinary and multi-medium content, with an emphasis on potential for growth.
- Identify opportunities to monetize content platforms and create new revenue streams in conjunction with strategic plan and institutional revenue goals.
- Become the arbiter of a shared “institutional voice” -- drawing on best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style with Communications Director. Work with departments to implement content calendar across organization and finetune a workflow for requesting, creating, editing, greenlighting, publishing, and retiring content. Conduct periodic competitive audits.
- In partnership with Senior Web Developer, make recommendations based on data and analytics. Work with program staff to revise content and strategies accordingly.
- Develop “Media Lab” standards, systems and best practices (both human and technological) for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval, content repurposing, including the real-time implementation of content strategies.
- Supervise the maintenance of content inventories, and coordinate documentation of programming and events. Coordinate production of content for release, including Clocktower radio archive.
- Work closely with Design department on all creative and branding initiatives to ensure consistent messages across channels.
- 5 plus years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Experience in the launch of digital platform a plus. Audience development and subscription strategies experience also a plus.
- Versed in the latest platforms and technology tools.
- Interpersonal and management skills to lead creative personnel and content creators to
- help refine and disseminate content in a manner consistent with Pioneer Works’ vision. Leadership skills required to manage goals involving diverse contributors, content types, and personalities.
- Skilled at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics. A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
- Specific skills required include:
○ Proven editorial skills. Outstanding command of language. Excellent project management and mediation skills. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience––it is critical that the CD retain a “outsider’s perspective” much like that of a journalist.
○ Expertise in major software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Wordpress, etc.) Basic technical understanding of HTML, XHTML, CSS, Java, web publishing, Flash, as well as fluency in web analytics tools (Adobe Omniture, Google Analytics), social media marketing applications (HootSuite, Tweetdeck, etc.) and leading social media monitoring platforms (Radian6, etc.).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.