Position: Grant Accountant
Organization: After-School All-Stars
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Founded in 1992, After-School All-Stars is a national non-profit organization which provides free, daily afterschool programs to nearly 75,000 children in need on over 350 school sites in 19 chapters across the U.S. Our goals for our All Stars are the same we have for our own children: to be healthy and active, to graduate high school and go on to college, to find a job that they love and to give back to their communities. We achieve this by identifying and fueling our students' individual passions, tying their interests to tailored academic support, enrichment and health and fitness programming. After-School All-Stars gives its students a safe-haven during the hours of 3pm-6pm—the time of day when youth violence, drug use, and other delinquent behaviors are most likely to occur. By creating caring youth-adult relationships and incorporating service learning into all that we do, we help our All-Stars gain the confidence, skills and role models they need to become leaders in their community.
A Unique Opportunity
The Grant Accountant will work heavily with the Director of Operations and After-School All-Stars external accounting firm to ensure the compliance of all State, Federal and Local government grants, as well as, support the development team during the submission of new granting opportunities. This position will report to the Director of Operations and work cross-functionally with other departments and shared chapter staff. The Grant Accountant will also work on special projects aimed at streamlining and refining current After-School All-Stars accounting workflows.
· Reconciles monthly American express account totals ensuring expense reports tie to general ledger every month
· Collaborate with development team on grant budgets and proposals
· Prepares journal entries and account reconciliations
· Review grant coding on expenditures such as expense reports, invoices and contracts. Ensuring compliance and adherence to organizations fiscal policies and procedures
· Oversee payroll allocations on federal, local and state grants
· Perform salesforce data entry and quality information management related to financial grant compliance
· Works closely with Director of Operations and Chapter staff to identify areas of concern regarding grant finances and compliance
· Prepare monthly grant reimbursements, ensuring timeliness, accuracy, and compliance with grant agreement terms and ensures that appropriate documentation is prepared and maintained to support grant reporting and annual audits
· Supports Director of Operations with the management of Net Assets Schedule
· Notifies Director of Operations of grant spend-down amounts
· Supports Director of Operations during annual Audit/990
· Partner with HR to highlight and correct grant payroll allocation discrepancies
· Follow up with external agencies, vendor or independent chapters on delinquent invoices
· Assist Director of Operations during Budget Creation Process
· Support and/or collaborate with other members of the Operations/HR team on special projects as needed
Who should apply?
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or a related field from an accredited college or university
· Solid understanding of nonprofit accounting, revenue recognition, cost allocations, and single audit requirements
· 3-4 years of hands-on accounting experience
· Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, general ledger, and financial analysis is a plus.
· Superior organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills
· Pride in self, work, and organization with tasks performed at a high level of accuracy
· Experience in post-award management of federal and foundations grants and contracts, including budgeting and financial reporting for multi-funded projects
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to effectively liaise with and motivate a variety of people in a multi-cultural environment and across various time zones
· Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
· Flexible and able to adapt to changing position demands
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 is required
· Knowledge of Salesforce CRM is preferred
The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience of the individual candidate. ASAS offers competitive benefits including, but not limited to health, dental, vision, and an employer match for our 403(b) plans.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should be in PDF format and indicate how your experience is in direct alignment with the mission and vision of After-School All-Stars.
Please put “Grants Accountant” and your last name in the subject heading.
To learn more about ASAS, please visit our website: www.afterschoolallstars.org