4649 Sunnyside Ave. N.
Title: Senior Accountant
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Accountant will be a key member of the organization, administering the organization’s accounting function. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and proactive, able to work independently on accounting, finance, budgeting, and reporting. In addition, you would work with other team members and outside resources to support organization needs in the following areas: human resources, facilities, administration, and IT. This position is the “go-to” accounting person and needs to be comfortable with a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities, building compliant systems, processes and policies, and managing the day-to-day accounting and assisting with other functions of a growing organization.
• Perform the accounting tasks within Tilth Alliance, from the monthly general ledger close process to transactional processing (AR, AP, and payroll), monthly bank reconciliations, collections, and financial reporting.
• Create, revise and/or implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall efficiency.
• Report and share accurate and timely financial reports in accordance with GAAP with the Executive Director to ensure they are kept fully informed of the financial condition of the organization.
• Participate in the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget and keep the Executive Director abreast of the organization’s financial status. Maintain capital and operational budgets.
• Assist with preparation of proposals for grants/funding approval.
• Create systems/processes for and administer, track spending against, invoice for and manage accounting of grants, contracts and other funding sources.
• Prepare financial outlooks and financial forecasts.
• Track organizational cash flow and forecasting daily.
• Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the board of directors as needed.
• Prepare and file Washington State B&O and sales tax returns. Complete monthly and quarterly tax reports such as Payroll, State Excise and City Excise.
• Assess internal systems, recommend, and implement changes to continuously improve systems and processes to support organizational growth. Communicate any changes that impact employees in a clear and positive way.
• Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
• Assist the Executive Director to effectively communicate financial results and matters to the board of directors.
• Work closely with banking partners to establish a relationship that will be flexible and easy to work with as we continue to grow.
• Lead ‘best in class’ finance behaviors to the team.
• Attention to Detail: You are detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy, while keeping your eye on the big picture. You possess strong reasoning and problem-solving skills, including the ability to identify discrepancies.
• Problem-Solving Skills: you will be asked to solve problems on an ongoing basis. You must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You are process oriented with ability to define and continually refine best practices and processes.
• Multi-Tasker: You possess the ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet various deadlines while maintaining flexibility to meet unexpected requirements.
• Exceptional Communication skills: you will routinely communicate with Tilth Alliance employees and partners. Outstanding verbal, written, and organizational skills are essential, as are thoughtful and consistent communication skills.
• Dependable: You are a reliable “go-to” member of the team.
• Self-Motivated: You own a task and hold yourself and others accountable for results with minimal supervision.
• Flexible: You have a high-level of comfort in a fast-paced organization with minimal formalized processes and procedures.
• The successful candidate will be an experienced accounting professional with 5-7 years of experience in accounting. Non-profit and grant accounting experience strongly preferred.
• Strong understanding of GAAP, especially nonprofit accounting rules, and willingness to research matters in a proactive manner is necessary.
• Accounting degree required, CPA preferred.
• Experience managing ERP systems is preferable; experience with Sage helpful. Candidate must be able to demonstrate Excel and MS Word proficiency.
• Requires extensive knowledge of federal and state financial regulations related to not-for-profit organizations.
• Requires knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems.
• Sitting at a work station for extended periods of time.
• Stand, walk, climb stairs on a frequent basis.
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds on an infrequent basis.
• Must be able to work in a fast, dynamic setting.
About Tilth Alliance
Tilth Alliance believes everyone deserves to eat well, every day. Our non-profit organization is creating a better food culture in Washington by teaching people to grow, prepare and eat food with a clear understanding of the interconnectedness of food, health, community, and the earth’s sustainability. Using fields, farms, and kitchens as classrooms to teach much more than agriculture, we transform lives and the communities we serve.
Tilth Alliance offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, employee funded Flexible Spending Account for qualified childcare, healthcare and transportation expenses, 401k, paid vacation, sick and holiday time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a letter of interest, resume and salary range requirements as one document in PDF or Word format. Email all materials to email@example.com with the subject "Senior Accountant”. Applications will be reviewed as received and interviews will begin immediately. Position is open until filled. Compensation is DOE.
No phone calls please. We believe that diversity is essential to achieving our mission. Tilth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.